LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOES ANYBODY THINK I WILL HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS SET. 2 PUMPS 8 BATTERIES POWERBALLS AND 14'S IN THE BACK AND 10'S IN THE FRONT. ALL I REALLY WANT IS A BIG STANDING 3, MAYBE HOP IT A LITTLE. I DON'T WANT ALOT OF WEIGHT IN THE TRUNK, I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING RELIABLE. I DON'T EVER WANT TO TRAILER THE CAR, I PLAN ON REINFORCING THE REAR END.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
youu'll have to notch out the bottom of the X in the frame or else the driveshaft will rub, those og impala rear ends dont allow more than 8" of susp. travel at max.
so if you wanna run 14" you'll have to re-construct the rearend, like a wishbone or a 4-link type of setup...
and you'll allso need to get the rear arches of the frame boxed in since those are c-channel (if it's not a canadian frame)
other than that reinforcing the car is allways adviceable and allso very necessary if you're juicing it...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THE FRAME IS CANADIAN BUT IT WILL BE REINFORCED REGARDLESS. EXPLAIN THE REAR END IN MORE DETAIL IF YOU COULD, WE WILL BE WRAPPING THE FRAME NEXT WEEK

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
ok, thats sounds super!
anyway the upper banana bar makes the pinion travel horizontal all the way from all dumped to fully locked up and that crushes the
u-joints when riding locked up.
locking the car up allso pushes the rear axle + driveshaft foward a bit so the tranny will get fucked.
so if you need more than 8" susp. travel you'll allso need a slip shaft with a nice splincetravel to make it work smooth...
if you're running shocks in the back you wont even have more than like 6" susp. travel... even with a minimum of coil.

Last edited by badass 64 at Nov 8 2003, 05:06 PM

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
check with local 4x4 shops off roadtype of shops, http://www.arizonadrivelines.com has some sweet slipshafts...
but dont forget to measure up the distance from the carrier bearing to the pinion all dumped and all locked up so you know how long splince travel you'll need.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NICE RIDE :biggrin: DID YOU ANGLE THE REAR CONTROL ARMS AND WHY? THAT LOOKS MEAN AS HELL, I THINK I AM GONNA DO IT !! I MAY HAVE A FEW MORE QUESTIONS AS I GET INTO IT MORE

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by PROJECT6DEUCE@Nov 8 2003, 05:33 PM
CAN YOU DRIVE THE 64 ALL LOCKED UP?
yeah, thats the whole point of doing this, so you can drive it ALL locked up... if you got any futher Q's just hit me on on the PM.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by PROJECT6DEUCE@Nov 8 2003, 05:32 PM
NICE RIDE  :biggrin:  DID YOU ANGLE THE REAR CONTROL ARMS AND WHY? THAT LOOKS MEAN AS HELL, I THINK I AM GONNA DO IT !! I MAY HAVE A FEW MORE QUESTIONS AS I GET INTO IT MORE
do you mean the ones i made myselfe? if so i made em like that to look like the og ones as much as possible and thats why i angled them, they're made in 1/4".

Last edited by badass 64 at Nov 8 2003, 05:47 PM

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOOKING AT YOUR PICTURES AGAIN IS THAT A TUBULAR CONTROL ARM MOUNTED TO THE FRAME, WHAT BENEFITS DOES THIS HAVE? DOES THE CAR STILL LAY OUT LOW?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by PROJECT6DEUCE@Nov 8 2003, 05:51 PM
LOOKING AT YOUR PICTURES AGAIN IS THAT A TUBULAR CONTROL ARM MOUNTED TO THE FRAME, WHAT BENEFITS DOES THIS HAVE?  DOES THE CAR STILL LAY OUT LOW?

if you mean this, -it's one of the rear trailing arms and i made those to outstand the heavy stress thats put on 'em from hoppin'.
and yes the car still lays all the way down...
they are made in 1/4" with honed hydraulic pipes for the bushings to go in...

Last edited by badass 64 at Nov 8 2003, 05:56 PM

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOT THAT IT IS MOUNTED IN THE CENTRE OF THE FRAME TO THE CENTRE OF THE REAR END!! I SEE THE REAR END IS ALSO NOT REINFORCED WHY NOT?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
those are early pics of the 64 when i first got it together, the rear axle's all reinforced now and in the chromeshop along with the rest of the undercarrige. :) im doin' a full frame off this winter and im workin' on my frame wrap right now...

Last edited by badass 64 at Nov 8 2003, 06:02 PM

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by PROJECT6DEUCE@Nov 8 2003, 06:11 PM
YOU DID'T ANSWER MY QUESTION ABOUT THAT CONTROL ARM LOOKING THINGY AT THE AXLE
ok, thats the slinghot/wishbone arm that goes on top of the pumpkin, thats the thing that allows all this susp. travel, it holds the axle sideways so you can get rid of the panhard bar and it allso steers the pinion upward against the tranny when locking up.

but all this and more is at that link i gave you!!!!!
http://www.hicarclub.com/slingshot

1 - 20 of 21 Posts