LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1961 impala and I have some doubts about how to do my set uup.

I´ll run 10 batts ( 2 bays-72V and 48V)
4 pumps showtime comp KIT
Full frame reinforcement
Accumulators

What cylinder size should I use ? I was thinking about 8" in the front with coil under and 10" in the rear with coil over. Is it good???

Which springs should I use (3 ton, 3,5 ton or 4 ton)?

Thanks..

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Oh man... I feel sorry for you... Didn't anyone tell you that hydraulics don't work on 1961 Impalas???

Just because I'm a nice guy, I'll buy it from you for $500, so you can get something else... ;)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Naughty T@Jan 10 2004, 01:22 AM
Oh man... I feel sorry for you... Didn't anyone tell you that hydraulics don't work on 1961 Impalas???

Just because I'm a nice guy, I'll buy it from you for $500, so you can get something else... ;)
And didn't you also hear that the '61 Impala is the absolute worse car you could own? I'm sure "Naughty T" will toss in an extra couple hundred bucks and take that off your hands too. :)

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS+Jan 10 2004, 01:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS @ Jan 10 2004, 01:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Naughty T@Jan 10 2004, 01:22 AM

And didn't you also hear that the '61 Impala is the absolute worse car you could own? I'm sure "Naughty T" will toss in an extra couple hundred bucks and take that off your hands too. :)[/b][/quote]
:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by igorgulla@Jan 10 2004, 05:35 AM

Full frame reinforcement
Accumulators

What cylinder size should I use ? I was thinking about 8" in the front with coil under and 10" in the rear with coil over. Is it good???

Thanks..
sounds like a nice setup, i'd go with 3tons in the rear and 3.5 up front to start off with, if it bottoms out with that i would go with 4 tons. but i'd sure try 3.5's first.
allso 8" in the front is perfect and 10" cylinders in the back will give you all the lift even with a minimum of coil cuz those rearends dont got more than like 8" suspensiontravel og. and you'll have to notch out the bottom of the x in the frame (you prolly allready done that)
allso extend the upper a-arms 1-2" to get the stress of the upper balljoints (if you havent done that allready)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64+Jan 10 2004, 03:10 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Jan 10 2004, 03:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--igorgulla@Jan 10 2004, 05:35 AM

Full frame reinforcement
Accumulators

Thanks..
sounds like a nice setup, i'd go with 3tons in the rear and 3.5 up front to start off with, if it bottoms out with that i would go with 4 tons. but i'd sure try 3.5's first.
allso 8" in the front is perfect and 10" cylinders in the back will give you all the lift even with a minimum of coil cuz those rearends dont got more than like 8" suspensiontravel og. and you'll have to notch out the bottom of the x in the frame (you prolly allready done that)
allso extend the upper a-arms 1-2" to get the stress of the upper balljoints (if you havent done that allready)[/b][/quote]
are you saying that putting a 14" cylinder on an OG rear suspension would be a waste of time?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64+Jan 10 2004, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (schmidt64 @ Jan 10 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -badass [email protected] 10 2004, 03:10 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--igorgulla
@Jan 10 2004, 05:35 AM

Full frame reinforcement
Accumulators

Thanks..

allso extend the upper a-arms 1-2" to get the stress of the upper balljoints (if you havent done that allready)
are you saying that putting a 14" cylinder on an OG rear suspension would be a waste of time?[/b][/quote]
it would take no longer than mounting a 10" LOL...j/k! ;)

it's allways good to have alot of play left in the housing, the less they are extended the less they leak and bend so it would still be a good idea, and allso good for 3's...

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64@Jan 10 2004, 11:31 AM
this car has 14's and what looks to be, a stock rear suspension (besides that panhard bar lower mount??) how is this done?
i really like that car but i really DONT like that "solution" with the double bushing hole panhardbar cuz you would have to go out and unbolt it and change the hole when you want it to lock up max or dump it.

a MUCH better idea would be to relocate the panhardbar mount on the rearend so it comes more to the right, then make a longer panhardbar bar, that way it would have alot less travel to the left when locking up.

long bar = less movement.
short bar = more movement.

Last edited by badass 64 at Jan 10 2004, 12:12 PM

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by badass 64+Jan 10 2004, 07:10 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Jan 10 2004, 07:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--igorgulla@Jan 10 2004, 05:35 AM

Full frame reinforcement
Accumulators

Thanks..
allso extend the upper a-arms 1-2" to get the stress of the upper balljoints (if you havent done that allready)[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the answers.

How many turns Do you think that I should use if I use 3,5 tons on the rear and 3 tons on the front ?

If I reinforce the frame and the axle with 3/16" steel, change the upper balljoints, extend the A-Arms and use powerballs in the rear , will I still having some stress points to reinforce (like some joint or something else) or I will be OK?

Thanks man.. :cool:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by igorgulla+Jan 10 2004, 11:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (igorgulla @ Jan 10 2004, 11:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -badass [email protected] 10 2004, 07:10 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--igorgulla
@Jan 10 2004, 05:35 AM

Full frame reinforcement
Accumulators

Thanks..

Thanks for the answers.

How many turns Do you think that I should use if I use 3,5 tons on the rear and 3 tons on the front ?

If I reinforce the frame and the axle with 3/16" steel, change the upper balljoints, extend the A-Arms and use powerballs in the rear , will I still having some stress points to reinforce (like some joint or something else) or I will be OK?

Thanks man.. :cool:[/b][/quote]
for hopping i would go with nothing less than a fullstack up front.
like 5-6 wraps in the back. you'll have to try that out so you match the weight of the car right. if you run coilover you can allways keep on hitting the switch when it's fully raised to compress the rear coils, that require real reinforcements done and a chainbridge.
crossmember and the rearhumps are the weakest spots on those frames...

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64+Jan 10 2004, 04:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Jan 10 2004, 04:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--schmidt64@Jan 10 2004, 11:31 AM
this car has 14's and what looks to be, a stock rear suspension (besides that panhard bar lower mount??) how is this done?
i really like that car but i really DONT like that "solution" with the double bushing hole panhardbar cuz you would have to go out and unbolt it and change the hole when you want it to lock up max or dump it.

a MUCH better idea would be to relocate the panhardbar mount on the rearend so it comes more to the right, then make a longer panhardbar bar, that way it would have alot less travel to the left when locking up.

long bar = less movement.
short bar = more movement.[/b][/quote]
is that the only mod on the car to get it to lock up like that with 14's?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64@Jan 10 2004, 11:54 PM
the lockup seems to be higher than a 10" stroke would give?
uuuh, ...no. all depends on how much coil you're running if coilover mounted.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64+Jan 10 2004, 03:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Jan 10 2004, 03:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--schmidt64@Jan 10 2004, 11:54 PM
uuuh, ...no. all depends on how much coil you're running if coilover mounted.[/b][/quote]
so this car would have a taller stack?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64+Jan 10 2004, 11:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (schmidt64 @ Jan 10 2004, 11:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -badass [email protected] 10 2004, 03:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--schmidt64
@Jan 10 2004, 11:54 PM

so this car would have a taller stack?[/b][/quote]
taller stack than what?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64@Jan 10 2004, 11:51 PM

is that the only mod on the car to get it to lock up like that with 14's?
i think he's done something more to that car -like slided the rearaxle trailing arm mounts a bit 'round the axle or something cuz og those rear ends raises the car with the pinion in the exact same angle as the car all the way up and thats why it fucks up the u-joints, that car dont do that, when it's raised in the back and leaning fowards like that the pinion angle is horizontal...

Last edited by badass 64 at Jan 11 2004, 12:17 AM

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64+Jan 10 2004, 03:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Jan 10 2004, 03:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by -badass [email protected] 10 2004, 03:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--schmidt64
@Jan 10 2004, 11:54 PM

so this car would have a taller stack?
taller stack than what?[/b][/quote]
like a fuller stack than what normally would be run in the rear of a car?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
that car do gets pretty low too so he prolly has like 6 wraps of coil in the rear or something... and 14" strokes. i'd say those extend like 10" - 11" max, but thats a good lockup, far from everyone that run 6wraps of coil can get out that much stroke.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What if I use the 22" telescopic cylinders on the rear, wich mods should I do ???? :( :uh: :uh: :uh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts