LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to invest in one to see how much i can save myself in the long run i plan on first getting a good used one so if any of you could give me tips on what to look for when buying used that would be greatly appreciated or were to buy used
or even what exactly i know how to do everything but stitch... owner never taught me thinking i would leave if he did prob is i left cuz he never taught me i could have put in alot of work for him but i guess its my turn to learn

·
Registered
457 Posts
singer, pahff, consew nice brands walking foot is a must usually craigs list an old ladys garage sales a good ones gonna run 900 to 1500 hope this helps :puffin:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Originally posted by luxurymnte8788@Feb 3 2010, 09:10 PM~16506700
singer, pahff, consew nice brands walking foot is a must usually craigs list an old ladys garage sales a good ones gonna run 900 to 1500 hope this helps :puffin:
yup, get any of those 3 brands, has to be a walking foot and have REVERSE lever. not necessary but helps alot. when you get it have the seller run it and try it out. when you look at the motor under it, make sure the wheel thats on the motor running the band isnt the 3 inch wheel, has to be bigger like a 5 or 6 inch wheel or else its going to run too fast and youll have no control . too bad ur so far, i know an upholstery shop off cesar chavez and rowan in east LA that sells the machine youd need for 600 bucks, unless you have family or relatives out here

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
:cool:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by impalaray@Feb 4 2010, 01:37 AM~16508267
yup, get any of those 3 brands, has to be a walking foot and have REVERSE lever. not necessary but helps alot. when you get it have the seller run it and try it out. when you look at the motor under it, make sure the wheel  thats on the motor running the band isnt the 3 inch wheel, has to be bigger like a 5 or 6 inch wheel or else its going to run too fast and youll have no control .  too bad ur so far, i know an upholstery shop off cesar chavez and rowan in east LA that sells the machine youd need for 600 bucks, unless you have family or relatives out here
I DO HAVE FAMILY OUT THAT WAY IMA SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH THEM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another thing to look for is the strength in the machine.... lots of them dont sew thick material like leather. Take it from me when you start doing thick materials you want a power full machine. I have done all my interior work from a Pfaff n its the best one ive bought so far. But those 3 are very good.....

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I don't think thatll work. When I get home ill post pic of what it looks like bro

And reverse isn't really needed but helps cause when u get to the end of something ur sewing u hold the reverse and sew backwards down the same line for a half inch then let go and go gorward again to the end. This holds the stitching and 'seals' it so it wont slowly undo itself with time or when someone pulls on a loose string. All reverse does is sew backwards when u hold it down. If ur machine doesn't have reverse just when ur at the end and the needle is down, spin the material and go half inch the way u came, then with needle down spin material again and go back down and finish off

Originally posted by LostInSanPedro@Feb 5 2010, 12:19 AM~16519140
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/art/1586754129.html
this one work? what does reverse do?take the stitching back out?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by impalaray@Feb 7 2010, 01:07 AM~16537590
I don't think thatll work. When I get home ill post pic of what it looks like bro

And reverse isn't really needed but helps cause when u get to the end of something ur sewing u hold the reverse and sew backwards down the same line for a half inch then let go and go gorward again to the end. This holds the stitching and 'seals' it so it wont slowly undo itself with time or when someone pulls on a loose string. All reverse does is sew backwards when u hold it down. If ur machine doesn't have reverse just when ur at the end and the needle is down, spin the material and go half inch the way u came, then with needle down spin material again and go back down and finish off
THATS A GOOD TIP

·
Registered
158 Posts
you might get lucky at a flea market, or an antique store? thats where i found mine! an old singer, and it works great! and it only cost me $15 with the table and chair!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by luxurymnte8788+Feb 3 2010, 11:10 PM~16506700-->
[/b]
:wow:
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2010, 02:37 AM~16508267
yup, get any of those 3 brands, has to be a walking foot and have REVERSE lever. not necessary but helps alot. when you get it have the seller run it and try it out. when you look at the motor under it, make sure the wheel  thats on the motor running the band isnt the 3 inch wheel, has to be bigger like a 5 or 6 inch wheel or else its going to run too fast and youll have no control .  too bad ur so far, i know an upholstery shop off cesar chavez and rowan in east LA that sells the machine youd need for 600 bucks, unless you have family or relatives out here
:wow:
<!--QuoteBegin-JuicyJ
@Apr 12 2010, 10:55 PM~17175204
you might get lucky at a flea market, or an antique store? thats where i found mine! an old singer, and it works great! and it only cost me $15 with the table and chair!!
:thumbsup: always works for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts