LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do yall use to shave door handles on model cars i have tried using Dupli-Color Filler primer but it just dont seen to work right any help will be appreciated also where can i get something else that works and about how much does it cost :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by scrapin2low@Oct 9 2003, 08:30 PM
What i do, is i  cut teh   big handle off or a bulk of it off with my exacto, then i sand it down kinda even with the door, then i use a small amount of putty, let it sit for 30 minutes and then sand smoothe, primer and paint!
:thumbsup: all there is to it.

I use squadron green putty. Although i let it sit longer than 30 min. I putty it, then i don't touch it until at least the next day. As the filler cures and dries, it shrinks. So if you paint it that quick, it might have more curing to do and could shrink up on you. Then you'll have a ghost image of what you shaved.

Last edited by 1ofaknd at Oct 9 2003, 09:18 PM

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 1ofaknd+Oct 9 2003, 07:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ofaknd @ Oct 9 2003, 07:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--scrapin2low@Oct 9 2003, 08:30 PM
What i do, is i  cut teh   big handle off or a bulk of it off with my exacto, then i sand it down kinda even with the door, then i use a small amount of putty, let it sit for 30 minutes and then sand smoothe, primer and paint!

I use squadron green putty. Although i let it sit longer than 30 min. I putty it, then i don't touch it until at least the next day. As the filler cures and dries, it shrinks. So if you paint it that quick, it might have more curing to do and could shrink up on you. Then you'll have a ghost image of what you shaved.[/b][/quote]
were do u get it at and how much

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by chato83+Oct 9 2003, 10:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chato83 @ Oct 9 2003, 10:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 07:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--scrapin2low
@Oct 9 2003, 08:30 PM

I use squadron green putty. Although i let it sit longer than 30 min. I putty it, then i don't touch it until at least the next day. As the filler cures and dries, it shrinks. So if you paint it that quick, it might have more curing to do and could shrink up on you. Then you'll have a ghost image of what you shaved.
were do u get it at and how much[/b][/quote]
any good hobby shop should have it. it was less than 10 bucks i think. You don't have to use that kind though. you could just use regular bondo from autozone. it's way cheaper and works good.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by 1ofaknd+Oct 9 2003, 08:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ofaknd @ Oct 9 2003, 08:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 10:40 PM

any good hobby shop should have it. it was less than 10 bucks i think. You don't have to use that kind though. you could just use regular bondo from autozone. it's way cheaper and works good.[/b][/quote]
thanks man appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by chato83+Oct 9 2003, 10:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chato83 @ Oct 9 2003, 10:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 10:40 PM

any good hobby shop should have it. it was less than 10 bucks i think. You don't have to use that kind though. you could just use regular bondo from autozone. it's way cheaper and works good.
thanks man appreciated :thumbsup:[/b][/quote]
n/p homie :cool:

·
Registered
743 Posts
The method you guys describe often results in a ghost of the door handle showing through the paint when you paint it. I completely grind away the detail I want to get rid of leaving an actual hole in the body then I fill and sand, prime, paint

·
Registered
540 Posts
what I did was slice off the major portion of the handle, Then fill in the hole that is there to where you would put your hand on a real handle cover the entire thing in putty then sand and repeat until smooth

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by dag65@Oct 10 2003, 10:35 AM
The method you guys describe often results in a ghost of the door handle showing through the paint when you paint it. I completely grind away the detail I want to get rid of leaving an actual hole in the body then I fill and sand, prime, paint
anytime you fill a hole, there is a chance of it ghosting. that's why i let it dry for a long time before painting, and then spray a dark/light contrast of primer to see any imperfections. if it's all good after that, then i paint.

As far as how to remove the handle, couple different ways...blade,dremel,sandpaper. just personal preference i think.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I forgot to mention I use regular old Bondo and I have had fewer probs with the ghosting, squadron putty tends to shrink after awhile and if you use Auto paints it gets attacked and may become soft again

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by dag65@Oct 10 2003, 01:12 PM
I forgot to mention I use regular old Bondo and I have had fewer probs with the ghosting, squadron putty tends to shrink after awhile and if you use Auto paints it gets attacked and may become soft again
yea, squadron goes on really thin, and i've had a couple probs with ghosting. but i've only bought the one tube so i'm just gonna use it till it runs out and switch to something else.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by Rat Rodder@Oct 10 2003, 12:14 PM
best is evercoat.  Its the most expensive stuff on the market but its the best too.  Thats what i use.  Make sure you get Ever Coat for plastic cause i found out the hard way.  Ill get the Serial Number if you want...

rat-
That it is, but remember that most of the guys here are on a limited budget and a small can of Bondo is like $4 at the local parts store, it doesn't work as well as evercoat but it is much better than the squadron stuff

Last edited by dag65 at Oct 10 2003, 01:30 PM

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by PiK@Oct 10 2003, 02:00 PM
isn't bondo a 2 part mix or something like that? I had never thought about using that until someone mentioned it on here.. I might look into that for the next job I do
Yeah just like the You use on a real car, just have to make sure the area you are filling is pretty rough so it has soemthing to grab on to. I also use Bondo glaze putty to fill in little pinholes and scratches, its pretty crumbly if you put too much on though

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Oct 10 2003, 03:01 PM
i've seen ppl use contour putty. not sure on the brand, but it came out really good
That might be Tamiya. It doesn't have the same probs with shrinking as sqaudron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts