LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle is a welder and said he will help me shave and install poppers. I was wondering...can anyone kinda just tell us how to shave it? I have an idea.

Shaving:
Unscrew the handles and take out key lock.
Cut metal to fit the holes.
Weld metal in.
Put bondo/filler over top and smooth out.
Primer.

Poppers:
Take door panels off.
Follow instructions :biggrin:

Do I have the right idea?

Anyone got pics?

·
Registered
152 Posts
You got it down from the sounds of it... just don't think the poppers are gunna be as easy as following directions. Mine were a bitch. I ended up having to mount them vertically aginst the door jam, inside the door panel. I had to use a piece of coat hanger going through the hole in the end of the popper and bent down at a 90. Then i welded the coat hanger to the handle linkage. Sounds ghetto but it works great. I don't know if you'll have to go through all that but some fabbing will be needed. At least in my experience. Good luck!

Last edited by NeverFinished96 at Sep 23 2003, 12:36 PM

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did one of my cars its been a while buts it pretty ez. what i did was i shaved everything except one key hole and from the inside i hooked up cable from the key hole to the door hinge that way if my battery ever went dead i could turn the key & the door woud pop open. another thing i used fiber glass instead of welding if you do this put real deep scratches around the handle so it will stick good and it should be strong as hell. make sure you take your time on the finishing body work either way you go.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Originally posted by NeverFinished96@Sep 23 2003, 02:35 PM
You got it down from the sounds of it... just don't think the poppers are gunna be as easy as following directions. Mine were a bitch. I ended up having to mount them vertically aginst the door jam, inside the door panel. I had to use a piece of coat hanger going through the hole in the end of the popper and bent down at a 90. Then i welded the coat hanger to the handle linkage. Sounds ghetto but it works great. I don't know if you'll have to go through all that but some fabbing will be needed. At least in my experience. Good luck!
I HADE TO DO THE SAME THING....MOUNT THEM VERTICALY. IT GIVES A GOOD CLEAN LOOK WHEN YOUR DONE THOUGH.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET HEAVY ENOUGH SILINOIDS OR YOU WILL BURN THEM UP, I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts