LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked this ???? A few days ago and i didnt see y it wouldnt work. A guy i know has no welder and he wanted 2 shave his handles on his 94 caprice. SO he said his idea was to remove the handles and just to the side of where the handles are he was gunna lay tape about a 7x7 square and then spray some mold release and lay fiberglass, once dried he could cut the fiberglass to size to fit in the door handle opening and lay some more resin so it adhearse 2 the bare metal. ANyone see any problems happening with this method?????

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
i got some fibreglass mat and cut it to the shape of the hole and n resin'd it good and used a heatgun to make it cure real quick, then a lil filler over the top
never cracked only prob was a lil moisture got in an a lil bubble came up

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
I went down to harbor freight and picked up a low dollar flux welder (about $100.00 and it worked like a charm. It gives me the satisifaction that the plates will be there for ever.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you don't weld it, it will eventually crack. Do as much work as you can by yourself (cutting, trimming, grinding...) and get someone to weld the patches in. Mine were hammer welded, then grinded. They didn't even need filler. Once ground down, the panel was perfect.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Originally posted by hot$tuff5964@Oct 7 2006, 05:14 PM~6325478
if he does it right, it will not crack
it might still crack... they don't flex the same way and different stress points on flexibility.... i personally wouldn't do it.... IMO :biggrin:

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
Originally posted by BIG TIMMAY@Oct 8 2006, 02:02 PM~6328637
it might still crack... they don't flex the same way and different stress points on flexibility.... i personally wouldn't do it.... IMO :biggrin:

me either, but if i did, it wouldnt crack..... ever ;) :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts