LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here...i been building models for a while and i jus decided to find a site on the net with other people that build lowrider models on it...and i got a question...

can nebody here describe to me how to shave door handles..and what kind of bondo to use for it?? i went to wal-mart 2day and they had 2 kinds...i don remember what they were...one of them was hardener or some shit like that...and the other one was putty...which one am i sposed to use...and how??

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
theres 2 main kinds of putty that are made for models.....

Testors "Contour Putty"
and
Squadron "Green Putty"

i'm not sure if they have those at walmart or not :dunno:
it's a possibility on the Testors, it's in a white and grey tube
but the Squadron you are going to have to take a trip to a hobby shop for that.

Last edited by The Mad Modeler at Aug 20 2003, 08:25 PM

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot...

i guess ima have to find a hobby shop around here sometime... all ive been doin so far is models straight outta the box...

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I just use Tremclad red primer and it works pretty good. Here's my Chevelle in the works with shaved door handles and hood hinges.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for tha replies..theyre gonna help a lot...i got another question now tho...lol

how u cut the trunk an the doors open without making it look all...cut up? i tried cutting the doors open one time b4 an i fucked it up...it looked horrible...i used a xacto knife because its the only thing i could think of that could cut that small...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for tha replies..theyre gonna help a lot...i got another question now tho...lol

how u cut the trunk an the doors open without making it look all...cut up? i tried cutting the doors open one time b4 an i fucked it up...it looked horrible...i used a xacto knife because its the only thing i could think of that could cut that small...

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I use the back of a #11 blade with the tip broken off. Take it slow and easy, every time you pull the blade, a little curl of plastic should come up. I do it in front of the TV. Some people like the thread option, but I tried it a while ago and had some control problems.

K. Diaz

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally posted by BaSSmAsTeR@Aug 21 2003, 03:19 AM
i dont use that testors putty , i use "glazing & spot putty" by BONDO. its for real cars but i bought it one day at a discount auto to see how it would work and it hasnt givin my any probs yet. plus the nearest hobby shop from ma house is 30 mins away

*edited*
o and for the cutting i just use my xacto knife , sumtimes i slip and fuk up the plastic (and my finger right along with it) but thats wut the puttys for (and bandaids).

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by BaSSmAsTeR@Aug 21 2003, 02:19 AM
i dont use that testors putty , i use "glazing & spot putty" by BONDO. its for real cars but i bought it one day at a discount auto to see how it owuld work and it hasnt givin my any probs yet. plus the nearest hobby shop from ma house is 30 mins away
Me too, I first use the dremel tool to grind away the handle or other detail so there is a hole to fill and level off.
THe spot putty is a little porous so it needs a few coats of pimer to get it really smooth. Bondo works fine as well.If you can find it there is a produst called evercoat that is supposed to be a little finer and work better on models.

Last edited by dag65 at Aug 21 2003, 01:36 PM

·
Registered
956 Posts
Evercoat works the Best!!!!!!! its real bondo used for cars. I took some from my real 1941 ford car and works Perfect!. Its the thinest stuff on the market and it doesnt shrink. But the downsize is its kinda expensive. LIke 230 for a gallon

Last edited by Rat Rodder at Aug 21 2003, 04:16 PM

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont think there are ne model shops around where i live that have nething like that... they're all rc car hobby shops...and anyway i dont know how much a gallon is...im canadian ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont think there are ne model shops around where i live that have nething like that... they're all rc car hobby shops...and anyway i dont know how much a gallon is...im canadian ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whoops pressed the back button and pressed the button again

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Originally posted by The Mad Modeler+Aug 21 2003, 09:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Mad Modeler @ Aug 21 2003, 09:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--96 impala girl@Aug 21 2003, 07:02 PM
for evercoat go to an auto paint & material supplier
not sure if they have "NAPA" up there or not but i think they carry it or used to :dunno:[/b][/quote]
i dont even think napa carries that kinda stuff. i know we buy evercoat directly from the paint supplier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts