LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been posted before but its burried in the LIL archives somewhere.

Home Depot sells small sheets of sheet metal cheap and thick enough for a good weld. They also sell a huge 24"x36" sheet for like $10 but its very thin flimsy aluminum for door kick plates or whatever. It cuts very nicely with tin snips but could you use JB Weld on that and then bondo over it or would that be too weak? :confused:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Originally posted by TonyO@Sep 21 2005, 12:17 AM~3855518
I know this topic has been posted before but its burried in the LIL archives somewhere.

Home Depot sells small sheets of sheet metal cheap and thick enough for a good weld.  They also sell a huge 24"x36" sheet for like $10 but its very thin flimsy aluminum for door kick plates or whatever.  It cuts very nicely with tin snips but could you use JB Weld on that and then bondo over it or would that be too weak?  :confused:
there it is again!!!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: infamous!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
I DONT THINK IT WOULD BE TOO WEAK. I MADE A TANK ON A 12" OUT OF A PLASTIC BOTTLE, THEN BONDOED OVER IT. WORKS FINE.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
you know we actually used that same sheet alluminum on the trike we built "Jokers Wild 2" we riveted it on the tank and side skirts... but then after that we discovered the art of welding...lol so we welded the rest but actual metal... and we did like 6 other bikes before that with the same sheet alluminum riveted on and it never gave us any problem... all tho on of my friends had tried JBWELD and that shits GARBAGE...lol use a real welder man.... or.... rivets....and yes that alluminum sheets are strong enough...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got my sheet metal at NAPA, they sell it for floor boards. I got a 3' x 5' piece of 18 guage for $20. With that much sheet metal you could probably do 5 or 6 bikes.

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by lancecst@Sep 21 2005, 04:55 PM~3856024
I got my sheet metal at NAPA, they sell it for floor boards.  I got a 3' x 5' piece of 18 guage for $20.  With that much sheet metal you could probably do 5 or 6 bikes.
Ah I didn't think to look at Napa for some sheet metal.

I didn't think to do rivets either. You can get a hand powered rivet gun and rivets at Napa too can't ya? Hmm, sounds interesting :)

·
Banned
49,003 Posts
Originally posted by just lowriding@Sep 21 2005, 03:46 AM~3855628
ya mum
:0

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Originally posted by TonyO@Sep 23 2005, 12:47 AM~3869943
Ah I didn't think to look at Napa for some sheet metal.

I didn't think to do rivets either.  You can get a hand powered rivet gun and rivets at Napa too can't ya?  Hmm, sounds interesting :)

yeah rivet gun is like 17 dollars with a shitload of rivets...

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
u place the sheet metal on the frame where u want it... then... u get a drill with a small drill bit that the rivet would sit in the whole perfect... u drill thru the sheet metal into the frame... then u stick the rivet inside the whole... then u clamp it wit the rivet gun... and thats it...

·
Registered
48,347 Posts
Someone did the rivit thing on one of thier frame and I guess they didnt do them right cause one of them came loose and fucked up the bondo. Make sure you guys do it right so you dont fuck up your bondo.

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by tRiCk oR tReAt 2@Sep 24 2005, 07:07 AM~3875391
u place the sheet metal on the frame where u want it... then... u get a drill with a small drill bit that the  rivet would sit in the whole perfect... u drill thru the sheet metal into the frame... then u stick the rivet inside the whole... then u clamp it wit the rivet gun... and thats it...
Pics ? :dunno: This would make a good tech topic .

I've never used a hand rivet gun so how does it clamp down the rivet? :confused:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts