LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my brothers crx is almost done primering. I have a few questions. We are going to be shooting the car with Shimrin Kandy apple red fbc-11. Could yall maybe post up some cars that have kandy apple red with flakes? Im woundering if I go with fireball flake mixed up in the candy apple red would that change the flake and make it turn a different color flake? Or will it still look like fireball flake. I threw them the idea of mixing silver flake with the kandy apple red 3 coats cause the silver with the red tinting will turn into its own red flake. Could yall help me out a little and post up some pictures of cars with Kandy apple red with different flakes to try and give us some ideas. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
???????????? FBC-11 = Shimrin fine metallic base........
Or are you refering to the "KBC" - Kandy Base Coat, over that fbc-11???????????? --------------- That is damn close to what will be on my car........ I am gonna intermix a few colors together tho...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
** WELL , i guess im gonna play that "GAY" roll & paint some Purple patterns on it......... It has been told to me before about painting it different colors so -- FUCK IT!!!

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
yeah you can mix the silver flake in the first coat of candy then put 3-4 more coats over it and your flake will be a bright red, it looks good.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey has anyone tried to mix alot of flake in the base coat before you put the actual candy coats on? Does it look good, and whats the max amount of flake, if there is any on how much flake I can mix into the basecoat before ill start runnin into problems? Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by STREET SWEEPAZ@Dec 9 2003, 08:05 PM
** WELL , i guess im gonna play that "GAY" roll & paint some Purple patterns on it......... It has been told to me before about painting it different colors so -- FUCK IT!!!
With your skills I say you could make purple look pimp as fuck for a grown ass man to roll in. Even though purple is kinda a girly color. :cool:

Last edited by /\Chris/\ at Dec 10 2003, 02:46 AM

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Originally posted by /\Chris/\@Dec 10 2003, 02:40 AM
Hey has anyone tried to mix alot of flake in the base coat before you put the actual candy coats on? Does it look good, and whats the max amount of flake, if there is any on how much flake I can mix into the basecoat before ill start runnin into problems? Thanks, Chris
I wouldn't mix it in the base coat, cause it will hide most of your flake. Put it in a midcoat clear or your fist coat of candy. Don't mix it in every coat of candy cause the last 2 layers will look pink.

As for going with fireball flake, I havn't done that, but it does sound like something I would do. I say try it out.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish i could that sounds like a good idea but, im using a fbc-11 cinder red base. Hey have any of yall tried using an orion silver base instead of a cinder. Iv noticed on the real candies most of them look really good with the orion silver, but im using a shimrin candy so dont know. Hmm :dunno:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** My car was actually painted with a similar color as a base -- it was "Blood Red Maroon"...... It didnt have as much metallic in it... YOu have looked at the book right ??? It will look as good if not better in the sunlight on a whole car....

*** The idea behind the KBC is that you will need "FEWER" coats of paint (about 3)...... Kandy requires about 5 to 6 coats to get it as it looks in the books..... :biggrin:

Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Dec 14 2003, 06:22 AM

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Damn man you have skills. How the hell do you do it?:biggrin:

I guess ill just stick with what the book recommends ill do fbc-11 cinder red base, then clear with silver flakes intill im satisfied, then lay down the 3 kandy basecoats then final clear.

If I lay the flake down in the clear and just give it flash time and lay down the kandy do you think I will have any problems? Or is it better to let the clear dry and sand it for a little bite?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Originally posted by /\Chris/\@Dec 10 2003, 12:40 AM
i have seen lots of cars with flake in base. a shop here that is the way they do it. they use the same color flake as base. bncrzy also painted a cutlass stock dupont green and added flake then cleared it, no candy. it is nice as hell.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Originally posted by /\Chris/\@Dec 10 2003, 12:40 AM
i have seen as much as 2 jars of flake in the base color before the candy hella flaked out . febuary lowrider has fresno show look for blue riviera or orange 65 thats how they were done.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by umlolo@Dec 14 2003, 11:43 AM
http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/products/shimrin.jsp kbc mimic the candy you want you shouldnt need a base it is premixed.
It is all shown over differen color bases...... I have the HOK book here..... KBC-11 over (FBC or BC-11) -- im looking at it .. I will post a pic if I can.....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

1 - 20 of 20 Posts