LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are different ways people shoot there clears, don't necessarily needs to be omni,, what i mean is like the first coat, wet/dry and 2nd coat wet/dry, about a month ago i shot a car and shot the first coat kinda misty and 2nd very wet and looked pretty nice,, last nite i did the same thing and had more orange peel than a orange,,, today i shot the first coat wet and the second wet and looks very good,,,, i mainly use omni but i'm wanting to shoot a 67 camaro we've restored but we're going to use ppg 2002 and i've onlyh shot that like 2 times,, a hood and fender and door,,,,,, so not enough practice with that......... any comments will help, thanks

RMS

·
Registered
89 Posts
1st coat should be wet- full clear coverage. 2nd coat should be wet also. 3rd coat should be the real money coat- the one that will sell the job- so make it wet. The guy I learned from would say let her eat!
1st coat- wet. 2nd coat- wet. 3rd coat- money coat- wet, wet, wet!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
1st coat and 2nd coat should be equal,(medium to wet) consistantsy throughout will have best finish, also the flash between coats is where a lot of people screw up. Make sure you are waiting the right amount of time between read the flash times on can and check your temp, and calculate your correct time for your situation. most clears are formulated for only 2 coats so dont overcoat or you will have more runs than a ski hill!!

You probally waited a longer time between coats when you had your orange peel nightmare!

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by 81juicedregal@Sep 12 2006, 02:48 AM~6152080
1st coat and 2nd coat should be equal,(medium to wet) consistantsy throughout will have best finish, also the flash between coats is where a lot of people screw up. Make sure you are waiting the right amount of time between read the flash times on can and check your temp, and calculate your correct time for your situation. most clears are formulated for only 2 coats so dont overcoat or you will have more runs than a ski hill!!

You probally waited a longer time between coats when you had your orange peel nightmare!

not to split hairs here but orange peel most of the time have nothing to do with flash times........

gun pressure

gun distance

gun speed

gun tip size....................

those are what you need to look at if you are getting orange peel

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I figured he had the gun setup just like he did the first time he tried that technique and apparently it looked good, that led me to believe his 1st coat was a dry duster that went on like rock guard and then it flashed enough that it would no longer flow and the 2nd coat just sunk into it. However SWITCHCRAFT you are right as well. Yet another thing that can also cause orange peel no matter how you spray it, is if the activator for the clear has gone bad. Also air flow in the booth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks alot guys,, i appreciate all your guys help, tommorow or the next day i'm going to paint a fender and a bumper for my in laws, i'll take pics and post up to show u guys how your training went...... ;)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS GUY MIKE 29 TAKE NOTES>>>>PLEASE :(

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by 81juicedregal@Sep 13 2006, 04:33 AM~6159197
I figured he had the gun setup just like he did the first time he tried that technique and apparently it looked good, that led me to believe his 1st coat was a dry duster that went on like rock guard and then it flashed enough that it would no longer flow and the 2nd coat just sunk into it. However SWITCHCRAFT you are right as well. Yet another thing that can also cause orange peel no matter how you spray it, is if the activator for the clear has gone bad. Also air flow in the booth.

i also forgot to mention wrong reducer for temp......... :cool:

there are so many variables when it comes to painting

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i forgot to take a pic of a bumper i painted today, but came out flawless, thanks homies,,, manana i painting a rebuild i bought, painting the whole car basicly,, cross your fingers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts