LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I have a regal -78 /g-body with telescopic pistons in the rear, I am afraid that I will damage the gearbox if I drive the car in locked up or three wheeling it when driving. (Even if I don’t drive crazy high in any way.)

Now to my question, is it enough to shorten the drive shaft (instead of installing a “real” lowrider slip yoke)? How much should I dare to short the shaft in such cases? I just want to shorten the shaft that much so that the push forward against the gearbox in lock up do not damage the gearbox, but not that much that the front (original) slip are pulled out of the gearbox when the car goes down low.

Advice is very much appreciated! :):cool:

(I live in Sweden and it's not easy to buy a real lowrider slip yoke here.. :mad:)

·
I got the wildstyle
Instragram: Kiloz_One
4,057 Posts
If you shorten to much you wont be able to lay the car out, it will be pulling on that transmission instead of pushing into it. There is no real way around it, if you want telescope cylinders you need to pair it with a slip yolk.
It will take some time but Ron at Black Magic can ship this over to you, might be a few weeks before you get it but its the only option. Sorry bud.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you shorten to much you wont be able to lay the car out, it will be pulling on that transmission instead of pushing into it. There is no real way around it, if you want telescope cylinders you need to pair it with a slip yolk.
It will take some time but Ron at Black Magic can ship this over to you, might be a few weeks before you get it but its the only option. Sorry bud.

You are probably right.. :rolleyes: But I was not going to drive particularly high and then maybe it can suffice with an inch, hopefully without it falling out. I searched the forum and found info on this:

·
I got the wildstyle
Instragram: Kiloz_One
4,057 Posts
You are probably right.. :rolleyes: But I was not going to drive particularly high and then maybe it can suffice with an inch, hopefully without it falling out. I searched the forum and found info on this:

Both threads you posted results in the same conclusion.
Shorting the drive shaft wont work because it will fall out when you lay the car down.

They also recommend Black Magic's slip yolk as I do. Do it right and never have to worry about it again. Its not expesive to hard to install, you just have to wait on the shipping which sucks but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both threads you posted results in the same conclusion.
Shorting the drive shaft wont work because it will fall out when you lay the car down.

They also recommend Black Magic's slip yolk as I do. Do it right and never have to worry about it again. Its not expesive to hard to install, you just have to wait on the shipping which sucks but it will be worth it.
Yes, it will be a real slip in the end. But until then I wonder if maybe it would work to cut the shaft, but not so much .. only half an inch or so.. :unsure:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts