LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
shortening the rearend is useally done to make reversed 7" wide rims fit under the fenders without rubbing, but if you get the right tiresize you wont have that problem on those impalas...

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by azpitbull@Jan 3 2004, 08:52 PM
Has anybody put a shortened rear end on a 58-64 imp? Why is it done? How you do it?
13x7 reversed sets = 155/80-13 tires
14x7 reversed sets = 175/70-14 tires

those will fit under the fenders without shortening the rearend.

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by azpitbull@Jan 3 2004, 02:52 PM
Has anybody put a shortened rear end on a 58-64 imp? Why is it done? How you do it?
People shorten the rear ends on a lifted Impala in order to run skirts with reversed rims.

You can run reversed rims and skirts with no problems if the car doesnt have hydraulics, but if the car has hydraulics, the reversed rims will cause the driver side skirt to pop off when the ass is locked up (because the panhard bar pulls the rearend to the driver side when raised).

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by azpitbull@Jan 3 2004, 03:16 PM
So if i dont have skirts no need to worry?
Nope.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ+Jan 3 2004, 02:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JasonJ @ Jan 3 2004, 02:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--azpitbull@Jan 3 2004, 02:52 PM
Has anybody put a shortened rear end on a 58-64 imp?  Why is it done?  How you do it?
People shorten the rear ends on a lifted Impala in order to run skirts with reversed rims.

You can run reversed rims and skirts with no problems if the car doesnt have hydraulics, but if the car has hydraulics, the reversed rims will cause the driver side skirt to pop off when the ass is locked up (because the panhard bar pulls the rearend to the driver side when raised).

Hope that helps.[/b][/quote]
Hey I want this done to my car. I want skirts and heard you need to shorten the rear end. I have a chromed rear end but will pay to have redone if they can't do it to my chromed one. The ? I have is do you know how much they need to be shortened? Can you pull 3 wheel with skirts and not rub? Do you know where I can find a narrowed rear for a good deal or a place that can do it??

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can someone add something to this??? I need to know! Someone out there gotta be running some reverse wires with skirts on a 58-64 Impala and knows about this!! Specs, info, advice. C'mon yall. I'd like to know before summer....... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by impalasonly@Jan 5 2004, 05:15 PM
Can someone add something to this??? I need to know! Someone out there gotta be running some reverse wires with skirts on a 58-64 Impala and knows about this!! Specs, info, advice. C'mon yall. I'd like to know before summer....... :biggrin:
I have skirts and 13x7 with a chrome, reinforced, shortened Impala rearend. You have to shorten the axles and housing 1" on each side.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ+Jan 3 2004, 04:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JasonJ @ Jan 3 2004, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--azpitbull@Jan 3 2004, 02:52 PM
Has anybody put a shortened rear end on a 58-64 imp?  Why is it done?  How you do it?

a slingshot is just what the doctor ordered

·
Registered
605 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ+Jan 3 2004, 04:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JasonJ @ Jan 3 2004, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--azpitbull@Jan 3 2004, 02:52 PM

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by WashPaChris 64+Jan 6 2004, 05:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WashPaChris 64 @ Jan 6 2004, 05:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2004, 04:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--azpitbull
@Jan 3 2004, 02:52 PM

Hope that helps.
a slingshot is just what the doctor ordered[/b][/quote]
;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64+Jan 6 2004, 05:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Jan 6 2004, 05:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -WashPaChris [email protected] 6 2004, 05:58 AM

Hope that helps.

;)[/b][/quote]
Hey man, I've seen you do some smooth ass work so might as well ask you. Have you ever narrowed a rear end or got pics of narrowing one like your frame wrap man?? If you know anything let me know.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by impalasonly+Jan 6 2004, 12:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (impalasonly @ Jan 6 2004, 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -badass [email protected] 6 2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by -WashPaChris [email protected] 6 2004, 05:58 AM

Hope that helps.

;)
Hey man, I've seen you do some smooth ass work so might as well ask you. Have you ever narrowed a rear end or got pics of narrowing one like your frame wrap man?? If you know anything let me know.[/b][/quote]
sorry no pics, shortening a rearend involves alot of work, cuz you need to get new shorter axels and everything needs to be measured up exactly so everything lines up afterwards...

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
if you put a sling shot do you still need to shorten the rearend? i hae a 60 with cruiser skirts on 13x7 daytons. i am about to put 16 inch strokes in the rear. where do i find pics of how to build the slingshot?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
one more question, say you take out the panhard bar and add another banana bar on the drivers side. would that work? hit me back asap i am building soon

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by eastbay_60@Jan 7 2004, 06:25 AM
one more question, say you take out the panhard bar and add another banana bar on the drivers side. would that work? hit me back asap i am building soon
no that would not work cuz there would be nothing holding the axle sideways, i've seen it done a few times but i would never do that myselfe.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by eastbay_60@Jan 7 2004, 05:54 AM
if you put a sling shot do you still need to shorten the rearend? i hae a 60 with cruiser skirts on 13x7 daytons. i am about to put 16 inch strokes in the rear. where do i find pics of how to build the slingshot?
i have no personal experiance with skirts but im sure you wont have to shorten the rearend if you get the slingshot.

here's the link:
http://www.hicarclub.com/slingshot.html

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by JasonJ+Jan 3 2004, 06:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JasonJ @ Jan 3 2004, 06:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--azpitbull@Jan 3 2004, 03:16 PM
So if i dont have skirts no need to worry?
Nope.[/b][/quote]
R u sure ??? Somebody i know swears that if you have 12's & u lock up all the way the wheels will hit the quarterpanels in the front by the doors whether u have skirts or not. Thats why shorten rear end according to him.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts