LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the rear end shortened by 1 inch on each side, that is what I have read and seems to be the common opinion. Will I be able to tuck 13x7 chinas with skirts? Im sure Daytons will but im not sure if chinas will. Is 1 inch enough, would 1 1/4 each side be to much, would it still fit factory rims and tires without any issues? I have been told that the splines on the 64 axles are long and can be cut down the 1 inch I need and just a new groove put in for the c lip, is this possible? I checked out the other threads but no info on the axles.

·
The Peoples Choice
15,822 Posts
1 inch is fine for China’s. When you put your stocks back on it could rub the exhaust if you have dual exhaust so just be conscientious of that when you install your exhaust if you haven’t already

·
Registered
47,194 Posts
Impala rear end don't use c clips. 1.25 inch is pushing it. U don't want the backing plates too close to the trailing arm bolts for access. Honestly with the amount of work and money I would suggest a different route. Gbody rear end is the width you need just need to swap brackets and sleep better knowing your axles are less prone to snapping or slipping out. Buckle quarter tear up wheel, kill yourself or kids etc etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok skirts are 2nd play here, the 13's chinas I bought all Gold dont seem to tuck as good as my 14's. The little lip insde the impala rear is hitting. i thought about cutting that bump out but dont want to fuck with the original body work on the inside of the wheel wells. My friend builds race cars, tubs cars out and builds rear ends everyday, hes doing it for $200 out the door , basically drop the rear end drop it off and have it back in a day. He said the 64 axles can get away with 1" no problem. So go only 1" and i should be fine? I have a adjustable panhard bar still, plan on doing a y bone soon but this should help. Also, I knew you two guys would give serious input and I thank you for that not just some guy saying put some D's on it. Thanks man.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
↑ So 1" or 2"s overall will make that much difference on stock rims? Do you have experience with shorting the stock axles popping out, walking? Will the 1" be that much more of of problem for just a cruiser etc.? Its just air ride, just dropping it a cruise night, no burnouts no fucking around.

·
Registered
47,194 Posts
Yes the 1 inch does make a difference. It's best to get the rear end complete then exhaust if you want exhausted out the back... because like marty said your stock wheels may rub on the pipes...unless u dump it before the rear end. The width of the axles have nothing to do with popping out the bearings are just pressed in (not really pressed more like hammer tapped)...any stress of weight or smaller wheels causes problems. No I have never had axles walk on me but I've narrowed axles and swapped housings in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts