LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting my bug up with 4 pump setup, I am not gonna run crazy voltage, so I am not going for a double pump hopper or anything... I am planning on running coil overs front and rear, but I know the ride will be hella bouncy and I have know room for shocks...

So I started giving some thought to running straight cylinders, bolt in, and running accumulators... That way I will have a good ride... This car will be my daily (but I'll put it away when the snow comes)

What do you think???

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by vwlownslo@Oct 26 2003, 09:27 PM
I am setting my bug up with 4 pump setup, I am not gonna run crazy voltage, so I am not going for a double pump hopper or anything... I am planning on running coil overs front and rear, but I know the ride will be hella bouncy and I have know room for shocks...

So I started giving some thought to running straight cylinders, bolt in, and running accumulators... That way I will have a good ride... This car will be my daily (but I'll put it away when the snow comes)

What do you think???
only thing with straight cylinders is that the ride is VERY bad with the car all the way down. When it is all the way down, there is no pressure in the lines for the accumulators to work. I did an eclipse before with straight cylinders and the guy would drive it with it all the way down. It rode real bouncy, but he didn't care.

With no springs and no pressure in the accumulators means that there is no suspension play or travel

Last edited by [email protected] at Oct 26 2003, 10:03 PM

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good point LOW... Even though I know it's not a good idea, in case I have a hydraulic failure, I plan on setting my ride up to lay flat out on its belly when fully dumped, so when I roll it I'd have at least an inch and a half travel at lowest drivable height. meaning, when I hit bumps I will have potential to bottom out on the belly of my car unless I raise it up even more...

I was planning on running minicoils all around, but I don't want to have an overly bouncy ride... I am just throwing around some ideas...

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
use coils if you want to, the accums will still give you the desired ride.

The 626 I did straight cylinder layed the transmission when fully dumped(perfect measurements I might add too :biggrin: ) It was the girls daily driver also. You might encounter more o-ring wear like this, but fuck it

The way you want to do it is perfectly fine, you usually don't encounter major cylinder leaks all of sudden anyway, so you wouldn't have too much of a problem if something did happen

when traveling over bumps with accums, very little movement in the suspension is used anyway. Do straight cylinder and lay the bitch all day long.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use accumulators on the 626? or just cylinders? A buddy of mine has a bug running straight cylinders with no acc. and he says the ride is the same as when he had just dumped the car without juice....

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by vwlownslo@Oct 26 2003, 10:27 PM
Did you use accumulators on the 626? or just cylinders? A buddy of mine has a bug running straight cylinders with no acc. and he says the ride is the same as when he had just dumped the car without juice....
I used 4 accumulators on the 626. I even put some homemade accumulators in the trunk also for looks, they are usable if she wanted to though, but would not help the ride anymore if she did open them up to use them.

Well the ride isn't that bad, but you will definitely wear your tires out a hell of a lot quicker if you drive it all the way down with no suspension travel. With straight cylinders, driving it all the way down also puts more stress on the cylinders and suspension, just food for thought, but it would ok to drive on it like that

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool, thanks... I gonna start messing with my suspension setup, as soon as I bring my ride down... I'll keep you all posted.... Thanks again LOW... :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts