LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with that? I want to try it out on the current project. I want to get a super wet look. Oh....and the single stage paint will be brand new too...I'm not just doing over a factory paint. :twak:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You have to shoot it like its clear...without clear it still looks excellent.SS looks best in solid colors(black,red,yellow,blue)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Single stage is better if you want a wet look after polishing. But the filler, putty, primer has to sanded finer than usual so you don't get sratch/sink marks. It polishes VERY easy!

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info guys....but what I want to do it spray a single stage solid color then go back and wetsand it. Then spray 3-4 coats of clear over that!!! Then cut and buff the clear. I want it super deep.

Think that would be a problem?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
not a problem, as long as you sand it first, it will take the clear nicely. I would let it bake it the sun as long as possible first, I have had issues once doing it out of 10. I think the single stage was too fresh, made a mess.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coooolll!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I usually get a nice shine when the bodywork is sanded to 500 dry, then sand the primer no lower than 600 wet. That usually takes care of the FLA too.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Originally posted by FWDFleetwood@Oct 20 2006, 03:31 PM~6409737
I usually get a nice shine when the bodywork is sanded to 500 dry, then sand the primer no lower than 600 wet.  That usually takes care of the FLA too.
YOU sand body work with 500?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin@Oct 20 2006, 11:11 AM~6407971
Anyone have experience with that?  I want to try it out on the current project.  I want to get a super wet look.  Oh....and the single stage paint will be brand new too...I'm not just doing over a factory paint. :twak:
why not just use urethane bs/cc?use a catalyzed bc and get the same result without the heavy overspray and awful smell :barf:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Originally posted by fleetwoodmack@Oct 21 2006, 12:07 AM~6412102
YOU sand body work with 500?
Yeah, probably redundant, but I find it easier to not get pinholes.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
IF YOUR GONNA SPRAY CLEAR OVER THE SINGLE STAGE WHY NOT JUST USE BASE COAT. MOST SYSTEMS IVE USED RUN THE SAME FOR BC/CC AND SINGLE STAGE. IN SOME CASES THE SINGLE STAGE WAS MORE. YOU CAN GET A DEEP WET LOOK WITH BC/CC IF YOU CLEAR YOUR CAR THEN WET SAND IT AND RESHOOT 3-4 MORE COATS OF CLEAR THEN CUT AND POLISH. BUT THATS JUST MY 2 PENNIES.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by SUPREME69@Oct 21 2006, 12:18 AM~6412679
IF YOUR GONNA SPRAY CLEAR OVER THE SINGLE STAGE WHY NOT JUST USE BASE COAT. MOST SYSTEMS IVE USED RUN THE SAME FOR BC/CC AND SINGLE STAGE. IN SOME CASES THE SINGLE STAGE WAS MORE. YOU CAN GET A DEEP WET LOOK WITH BC/CC IF YOU CLEAR YOUR CAR THEN WET SAND IT AND RESHOOT 3-4 MORE COATS OF CLEAR THEN CUT AND POLISH. BUT THATS JUST MY 2 PENNIES.

I was thinkin the same..... that alot of meticulous time spent sanding the single stage good enough for teh clear to bite onto................

Never has a single stage provided more depth ..... Thats why no one really uses it unless its a single color for implement applications & mainly for things that dont need a superior looking finish........

My 3 cents

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have done and been involved in plenty bc/cc jobs. And they come out super wet. But in a bc/cc the base coat is flat....no depth at all. All of your depth comes strickly from the clear. I want to incorporate the depth of a single stage paint with the depth of a clear. Hopefully a double whammy! :dunno:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I saw a V12 Mercedes that was done the very way you desire, It looks more wet and more deep and extremely black...It was single stage black with wetsand and clear over top....Shiny enough to put a eye out.....Had that afraid to touch super expensive look to it.

I just bought Dupont Single stage Centari "Pitch Black" for my 74' Monte....Might end up clearing it too....Only if I get talked into it.

I hate bc/cc Black....IT LOOKS GREY,BROWN,CLOUDY ETC. And the more small hairline scratches it gets the worse it looks. Single stage truly looks black and deep. Delstar and Centari both look awesome in black.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
you shouldn't have to sand the single stage. just wait for the flash time and start with the clear coat. why not just start with the bc color you want then use a little tint in the first couple coats of clear. sort of like a candy but less dramatic. it should give you nice depth. :)

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I want to sand the single stage down before clear is because I want to do some flake stripes on the car. ;) I will use intercoat for the flake and then bury it in the clear so there are no lines. :cheesy:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm doing just that, clearing over single stage polurethane.
No sanding needed, just spray the color and wait till the next day
to spray the clear. That way you don't risk sanding into the flake and messing
it up
Why use it instead of basecoat? Because I can get a gallon of orange
with hardener for under $100.00. Basecoat can cost 7 times that.

This is before the clear, if I didn't want to cut and buff I'd stop here.
It's definetly slick enough all by itself.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Just a quick ???? whats the mix ratio of a single stage paint? For instance lets say some centari single stage black

1 - 20 of 73 Posts