LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay..basic lowdown...I LOVE lowrider cars. I am with God's Creations car club right now, but need a ride for my plaque! I am trying to purchase a 68 Cadillac Deville.....I need help with the whole air bag thing. I know NOTHING! Can some one please shoot me an email at
[email protected] so you can help me out? I am willing to give you a call if it's easier for you to explain it to me. Just basically want to know what to look for, differences between pumps, compressor's, ect. I just want to know what to shop for and what questions to ask. Thanks!

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Air Compressor- THe whole point of this is to keep your air tank full, so when you need to get the car up, and fast, the air is there
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Valves- There are 2 main types of valves
-Electric Valves
-Manual Valves
-Electric Valves-Controls the air that goes Into the air bag, and that relases from the air bag. THe bigger the valve,The faster your system will be. The electric valve runs of 12v solenoids. The valves are wired to the switches that are mounted on the inside of the car, these valve are usually mounted outside the car, in the trunk, on the firewall, and the frame rails. 4valves are required for a front/back setup( 1 lift for front, 1 dump for front- 1 lift for rear, 1 dump for rear), and 8valves are required for a front/back/side/side setup.( 2 Lift valves for front, 2 Dump valves for front, 2 Lift valves for back, 2 dump valves for back) You can see why f,b,s,s is such a faster setup!
-Manual Valves- Also control the air that goes into the air bag, and that releases from the bag. Manual valves have no wiring required, they are mounted on the inside of the car, and the airlines from the tank, and bags are ran right to the valve. These valves tend to be slower. It also gets quite annoying with air blowing off inside your car.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Tank-This stores the air for the suspension to lift. Air tanks come in MANY differant sizes, shapes, colors,and porting variations. Most tanks have a small port located on the bottom for draining the water that builds up!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air bags- These are the MAIN part of your air system. These must be installed so they are free of rubbing. If the bag rubs, it will eventually wear through and deflate on you, really, really fast. Many people have been using Dual, and Quad ports in there air bags to get the most out of there fast bag system, most basic systems come with 1 single 1/2" or 3/8" port.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Lines- The come in many differant Sizes, Colors, and Pressure ratings. Most basic Systems use 3/8" airline. THe faster systems use 1/2", 3/4" airline. Airline is measure in outter diameter (OD), and come in Department of Transportation (DOT) approved and non-DOT approved styles.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Fittings- Many systems now are using Brass DOT fittings, just because they can usually handle more PSI than the conventional Push To connect (PTC) plastic Fittings. Many differant Sizes and Styles to chose from.
Pressure Switch- Is plumbed between the air tank, and the compressor. Basically when your system reaches a certain set PSI, the switch will cut-off power to the compressor(s) and when the system drops below the certain psi, it will engage power back into the compressors and let them run. The power wire for the compressor is hooked to 1 end of the pressure switch, and the power source is hooked to the other end.
Front and Rear Bag mounts- Differant Styles for differant cars, Custom cut metal for the air bag to mount on.
Switches- Up to you on what you can run. Toggle Switches, Playstation controllers, your own custom box. Anything is possible
Guages, and water traps, and front shock r/l are optional.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
A guy on low-riders.com just bagged his 66 Ldog.. I'm sure he would answer a few questions. His name on there is bagged eldorado...

·
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Sep 12 2003, 03:13 PM
Air Compressor- THe whole point of this is to keep your air tank full, so when you need to get the car up, and fast, the air is there
Air Valves- There are 2 main types of valves
-Electric Valves
-Manual Valves
-Electric Valves-Controls the air that goes Into the air bag, and that relases from the air bag. THe bigger the valve,The faster your system will be. The electric valve runs of 12v solenoids. The valves are wired to the switches that are mounted on the inside of the car, these valve are usually mounted outside the car, in the trunk, on the firewall, and the frame rails. 4valves are required for a front/back setup( 1 lift for front, 1 dump for front- 1 lift for rear, 1 dump for rear), and 8valves are required for a front/back/side/side setup.( 2 Lift valves for front, 2 Dump valves for front, 2 Lift valves for back, 2 dump valves for back) You can see why f,b,s,s is such a faster setup!
-Manual Valves- Also control the air that goes into the air bag, and that releases from the bag. Manual valves have no wiring required, they are mounted on the inside of the car, and the airlines from the tank, and bags are ran right to the valve. These valves tend to be slower. It also gets quite annoying with air blowing off inside your car.
Air Tank-This stores the air for the suspension to lift. Air tanks come in MANY differant sizes, shapes, colors,and porting variations. Most tanks have a small port located on the bottom for draining the water that builds up!
Air bags- These are the MAIN part of your air system. These must be installed so they are free of rubbing. If the bag rubs, it will eventually wear through and deflate on you, really, really fast. Many people have been using Dual, and Quad ports in there air bags to get the most out of there fast bag system, most basic systems come with 1 single 1/2" or 3/8" port.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Lines- The come in many differant Sizes, Colors, and Pressure ratings. Most basic Systems use 3/8" airline. THe faster systems use 1/2", 3/4" airline. Airline is measure in outter diameter (OD), and come in Department of Transportation (DOT) approved and non-DOT approved styles.
Air Fittings- Many systems now are using Brass DOT fittings, just because they can usually handle more PSI than the conventional Push To connect (PTC) plastic Fittings. Many differant Sizes and Styles to chose from.
Pressure Switch- Is plumbed between the air tank, and the compressor. Basically when your system reaches a certain set PSI, the switch will cut-off power to the compressor(s) and when the system drops below the certain psi, it will engage power back into the compressors and let them run. The power wire for the compressor is hooked to 1 end of the pressure switch, and the power source is hooked to the other end.
Front and Rear Bag mounts- Differant Styles for differant cars, Custom cut metal for the air bag to mount on.
Switches- Up to you on what you can run. Toggle Switches, Playstation controllers, your own custom box. Anything is possible
Guages, and water traps, and front shock r/l are optional.
well done :thumbsup:

·
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Sep 12 2003, 04:19 PM
I copied it ;)
still :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts