LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, w/ the hopper I'm building I've got 24" cylinders for the rear. I've heard a million times I need to have the slip yoke modified.
Since I've been on this forum, I've heard a lot of talk about shortning the shaft itself. So, which is better or is a combination of both?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well, with 24'' cylinders you are going to have alot more to worry about than just the driveshaft. Your entire rear end geometry is going to have to be radically modified to accomidate cylinders that big.

With respect to the shaft, shortening an inch is something required in g-body cars and cadillacs, when running 12'' to 14'' cylinders. The reason why, is that the higher the rear end lifts, the more forward the rear end itelf travels. Trying to lock one of those cars all the way up on 14'' cylinders with a stock driveshaft, will force the shaft hard into the tailpiece of the trans possibly damaging the u-joints, trans mount or possibly the trans itself. Shortening the shaft an inch, means the rear end can travel that much further forward without binding, but isnt so short that the shaft yoke will fall out of the trans tailpiece when the car is fully dropped, and the rear end is at its farthest rearward position.

With 24'' cylinders, there is no way you can utilize the stock lower trailing arm mounts. An 18'' cylinder or a 20'' can make a caddy or g-bodys lower trailing arms stand damn near vertical, or at least so far up that the powerballs will bind. Plus with the ass end extended so high, the rear end will actually swing forward a good ten inches. Now thats where a slip-splined driveshaft (telescoping driveshaft) comes in handy. That is a shaft that has a splined center, that allows it to shorten or lengthen great distances by sliding in and out of itself. With that much forward and rearward travel of the rear end, such a driveshaft is a must-have.

With 24''s though, you will probably have to make custom lower trailing arms, much longer than stock that attach to the frame alot further forward than the stock ones did, probably up under the middle of the car. That will allow you to full extend those 24'' cylinders without having the trailing arms or rear end at such a radical angle. You may still have problems with the pinion angle causing binding problems, so you will still have to use a telescoping driveshaft and probably one with a CV style setup to accomidate the extremely high angle.

Is this your first hopper? That much crazy ass suspension work is pretty intensive, and bordering on circus-car geometry. It could be really cool if you pull it off, but unless you have alot of expereince yourself or a talented, experienced installed, it might be biting off more than you can chew.

Good luck! :biggrin:

·
\m/ WTF? FTW! \m/
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by dreday@Oct 3 2003, 07:38 PM
Okay, w/ the hopper I'm building I've got 24" cylinders for the rear. I've heard a million times I need to have the slip yoke modified.
Since I've been on this forum, I've heard a lot of talk about shortning the shaft itself. So, which is better or is a combination of both?
you are the big time shop owner, you tell us

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never done an install this big nor does anyone in my area have over 16's. Where we live its not like bigger cities. Our population here is about 40,000. I moved here from Miami where theres like 6,000,000 people. Big change....
You said ask me, but if I need my dog nudered I'll ask you...

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Originally posted by dreday@Oct 3 2003, 07:59 PM
I've never done an install this big nor does anyone in my area have over 16's. Where we live its not like bigger cities. Our population here is about 40,000. I moved here from Miami where theres like 6,000,000 people. Big change....
wtf is nudered? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by impalapartz+Oct 3 2003, 08:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (impalapartz @ Oct 3 2003, 08:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dreday@Oct 3 2003, 07:59 PM
wtf is nudered? :dunno:[/b][/quote]
Nudered, when you make the animal where it can't have any more babies...

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Originally posted by dreday+Oct 3 2003, 08:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dreday @ Oct 3 2003, 08:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2003, 08:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--dreday
@Oct 3 2003, 07:59 PM

Nudered, when you make the animal where it can't have any more babies...[/b][/quote]
oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEUTERED

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by impalapartz+Oct 3 2003, 08:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (impalapartz @ Oct 3 2003, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2003, 08:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--dreday
@Oct 3 2003, 07:59 PM

Nudered, when you make the animal where it can't have any more babies...
oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEUTERED[/b][/quote]
LOL...yeah Neutered...my bad.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
We just did a g body with 24s in the back. There is alot of crazy shit going on back there, but none of it is stock. As for the drive shaft, it's slipped, alot, and has a high angle cv in it. The pinion angle on the rear end is fine, just too much from the tranny..

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Street Riders KC@Oct 3 2003, 10:13 PM
We just did a g body with 24s in the back. There is alot of crazy shit going on back there, but none of it is stock. As for the drive shaft, it's slipped, alot, and has a high angle cv in it. The pinion angle on the rear end is fine, just too much from the tranny..
So, are you saying the CV end is at the tranny or at the rear end?

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by LA FAMILIA C.C.@Jan 18 2006, 10:33 AM~4648601
:puffin:
Cuz, you went way back to find this topic. I forgot all about it.... :biggrin:

I sold that car, then sold the cylinders to someone in Cali I believe. They were straight 24". That was before telescopics....
I got some 22" telescopics for the Lac I'm building now. :0
:biggrin:

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Originally posted by dreday@Jan 18 2006, 11:54 AM~4648727
Cuz, you went way back to find this topic. I forgot all about it.... :biggrin:

I sold that car, then sold the cylinders to someone in Cali I believe. They were straight 24". That was before telescopics....
I got some 22" telescopics for the Lac I'm building now. :0
:biggrin:
lol yeah did playah but I'm sure that this topic will help a lot of fools like my self out there. :cool:

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by LA FAMILIA C.C.@Jan 18 2006, 11:06 AM~4648816
lol yeah did playah but I'm sure that this topic will help a lot of fools like my self out there. :cool:
Oh yeah....lots of good info...

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Originally posted by dreday@Jan 18 2006, 12:32 PM~4649040
Which one? I got 2......
doesn't matter though, both are '93... :biggrin:
hahaha big pimpin uh?
Ey I got 1 too 93 105 on the dash interior real clean. no rust or rot anywhere green with tan interio, paid $850 for it shit came with a 10CD changer :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by LA FAMILIA C.C.@Jan 18 2006, 11:34 AM~4649060
hahaha big pimpin uh?
Ey I got 1 too 93 105 on the dash interior real clean. no rust or rot anywhere green with tan interio, paid $850 for it shit came with a 10CD changer  :biggrin:
Damn. Sounds like helluva deal! I don't ever get that lucky. Paid a little more for mine... The 1st one, paid $2500 @ Cadillac dealership. Low miles-71k. 2nd one, paid $1500 to some old bastard. Low miles-52k. Needed a new frt. bumper.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Originally posted by dreday@Jan 18 2006, 12:41 PM~4649109
Damn. Sounds like helluva deal! I don't ever get that lucky. Paid a little more for mine... The 1st one, paid $2500 @ Cadillac dealership. Low miles-71k. 2nd one, paid $1500 to some old bastard. Low miles-52k. Needed a new frt. bumper.
Damn but the 2nd one has 52K

1 - 20 of 21 Posts