LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to know more about how/why you split the front cross member of a frame?

was wondering if ther is ayn other benfits besides

keeping it fornt bottoming out as easliy, any real info is appreciated

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Originally posted by Lowriderlegend90@Oct 27 2003, 12:38 PM
It also straightens out the cylinders so that they are not slanted in and is easier on the ball joints and everything I think :biggrin:
Actually extended a-arms do that. But the cylinders will sit the same as they did without splitting the belly.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Someone posted some pics of it and some conceptual drawings.

I'd be interested in seeing these as well if someone has them :)

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
slanted cylinders are not a bad thing in some cases!

as for the frame caving in,if you reinforce the frame wo/spliting wouldn't the reinforcements stop the cave in?

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
Originally posted by trudawg@Oct 27 2003, 03:38 PM
I don't know the specifics, but my x frame has the belly split. I have to get new lower control arms, cuz the spring pockets sit out farther :0

wassup joe5pt0 whatcha been up to?
do you have a pitbull frame?
i thought the springs were sposed to be straight up and down on a
x frame after the belly was split?

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Originally posted by juandik+Oct 27 2003, 03:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (juandik @ Oct 27 2003, 03:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--trudawg@Oct 27 2003, 03:38 PM
I don't know the specifics, but my x frame has the belly split. I have to get new lower control arms, cuz the spring pockets sit out farther :0

wassup joe5pt0 whatcha been up to?
do you have a pitbull frame?
i thought the springs were sposed to be straight up and down on a
x frame after the belly was split?[/b][/quote]
that may be the case, but The spring pockets on the (lower control arms) don't line up with spring pockets on the frame anymore
....and yea pitbull did my frame

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
went you cut the frame it raises the frontend , it may also make it stronger. But the a-arm too spring pocket area is not changed by doing this. And it will not straiten cylinders. They make look strait compared to the ground but the area around it is twisted at an angle so its just like it was originally.

·
Hot Head President
5,431 Posts
Hydrota is completely right, spreadin the crossmember does not alter your front suspention. It does other things.. :cool:

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Oct 27 2003, 12:45 PM
Someone posted some pics of it and some conceptual drawings.

I'd be interested in seeing these as well if someone has them :)
did you start on that gp? got any sources for gp parts...cant find them anywhere local. i go into a yard and they look like they seen a ghost when i say i want 78-80 gp parts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
I have done big posts about this since day 1 of me joining layitlow... Might want to research on it, if layitlow allows you too...

Anyway...

Stretching the belly is beneficial if you are going to hop.
#1 it will prevent the front of the frame from caving in quicker
#2 suspension is more straight than stock
#3 A-arms will be out way more, thus making the tire come back straight after a big hop... unlike not stretching, the tire will cave in a bit also... (loss of inches)
#4 less likely to break ball joints
#5 just rides better....

1 - 20 of 127 Posts