LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that's typical in older cars with no cats, but is there any way to prevent it from smelling so strong inside? I hate when I drive it to work and I walk in my office smelling like a gas station.

Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
You need to look at the car and try to figure out how it's getting in or if the exit location of the exhaust might need to be changed.
Bad weatherstrips, poor door gaskets, rotted out floorboards, missing plugs or grommets in the firewall, missing seam sealers, and so on are ways for fumes to get into the interior.
I have seen some cars with the exhaust going out right under the rear bumper and sometimes the wind swirling over the trunk and under the car once it gets past the rear bumper picks the fumes up and carries them forward past things like trunk seals. By having a downward bend in the pipe may change this or by having it exit out the sides behind the tires.
Sometimes too the fuel system is set up too rich to start with and by leaning it out the fumes may be less and the car runs better.
Jim

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Originally posted by Custom Jim@Sep 19 2006, 05:13 PM~6205151
You need to look at the car and try to figure out how it's getting in or if the exit location of the exhaust might need to be changed.
Bad weatherstrips, poor door gaskets, rotted out floorboards, missing plugs or grommets in the firewall, missing seam sealers, and so on are ways for fumes to get into the interior.
I have seen some cars with the exhaust going out right under the rear bumper and sometimes the wind swirling over the trunk and under the car once it gets past the rear bumper picks the fumes up and carries them forward past things like trunk seals. By having a downward bend in the pipe may change this or by having it exit out the sides behind the tires.
Sometimes too the fuel system is set up too rich to start with and by leaning it out the fumes may be less and the car runs better.
Jim
I would check this first.... does the exhaust burn your eyes really bad?

·
Pescos and Rays
3,018 Posts
Originally posted by OC*SS@Sep 19 2006, 11:11 AM~6204198
I know that's typical in older cars with no cats, but is there any way to prevent it from smelling so strong inside?  I hate when I drive it to work and I walk in my office smelling like a gas station.

Thanks

;)

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ACCESSORYFREAK@Sep 19 2006, 09:35 PM~6207967

;)

:roflmao:

My tips exit right before the back bumper and point straight out. The fumes don't burn my eyes but sometimes make me feel nauseous if I'm sitting in traffic or something, but yeah they do seem excessively strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts