LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
performance minded people always remove the smog pump.

but many say that the valves on that block are made to handle fresh air coming in when the car is in operation from the pump, and because of this some say that your valves will burn if you remove the pump??

i removed the smog pump on my 66 lemans, and didn't have a problem. that was 3 years ago.

just thought i'd let you know.

:biggrin: ,

cc

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by shorty 2low@Sep 14 2003, 04:11 PM
well that freshair looks to be going in the exhaust manifolds and down to the cat. which the one the the cat does no where...it just blows on the ground
yes, but the original purpose of the smog pump was to mix fresh air with exhaust gases to reduce emmissions.

you no longer have cats, its up to you if you want to keep them, my lemans didn't have cats either, pre-74 ca. vehicle. i still took it off, engine runs smoother, gets better gas mileage and a little more power.

but the valves were especially made to withstand the fresh air, this is why many say if your going to take your pump off, get new valves suited for non smog pump vehicles.

i ignored it all and just took it off, i haven't had any problems.

:biggrin: ,

cc

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Here it is now. I gotta explain it better. The smog pump is a small air compressor. It pumps fresh air into the ehaust manifolds right where the exhaust comes out from the head ports. The air hits the hot outgoing exhaust and reacts with wasted fuel and creates a small explosion that burns it off in the pipe. then the cat is suppose to take over the rest. I say take off the smog pump and get headers on her. You'll totally hear and feel the power after you do that.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Sep 14 2003, 04:42 PM
Here it is now. I gotta explain it better. The smog pump is a small air compressor. It pumps fresh air into the ehaust manifolds right where the exhaust comes out from the head ports. The air hits the hot outgoing exhaust and reacts with wasted fuel and creates a small explosion that burns it off in the pipe. then the cat is suppose to take over the rest. I say take off the smog pump and get headers on her. You'll totally hear and feel the power after you do that.
i'm a dumbass homie,

i kind of tried to explain the same thing, but i don't have the technical skills you do.

i tried to present both schools of thinking on the issue.

i didn't put headers on my 66. and it runs fine with the pros i listed above.

:cool: ,

cc

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by shorty 2low@Sep 14 2003, 07:54 PM
thanks for all the input homies :thumbsup:  
the first thing i tried was to unplug all the vac. lines from the pump.....BAD FUCKING IDEA! that leaves all the vac. lines to the carb and all unpluged which made my car imposible to keep ideal!! and when i turned it off it wanted to keep running!
 second thing i took the pully off to get the belt off ( i put the pully back on the pump) went for a drive...nothing wrong came up...seemed fine. the exhaust was different sounding and there seemed to be less belt noise
homie you have alot more emmissions equipment to deal with than on my 66.

i just removed and plugged the headers.

i bet theres a site somewhere that sells a cap/plug and other equipment to successfully deal with this.

or do as the homie said, remove it and get headers.

:cheesy: ,

cc

Last edited by Cruz_Campos at Sep 15 2003, 12:24 AM

·
Registered
807 Posts
i went crazy with mine. i got the car and it was running rough. after driving it for a while, one weekend down the road, i came outside to start it one saturday and the damn thing wouldnt start. it had been running bad so i got feed up and started cutting hoses, un plugging wires, and now it runs good with the air pump hangin there cause i couldnt get the bottom bolt out of it. i cut the air tubes going to the exhaust manifolds. i have one side pluged and one on the other side. i tried to change another one and broke the fitting off in the manifold.
if anyone is wondering, the plugs im using are 1/4" pipe thread for the exhaust manifolds. i went checking a auto part stores and everyone acted dumb. so i went to the hardware store.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i pulled the pump outta mine (307) at the beginnin of summer...runs fine n a lil more power....i even took the A/C belt off (never used it ne wayz) :cool:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Sep 25 2003, 03:37 PM
i have an 83 regal can i remove the smog pump if i still have the converter?????

and my a/c is working i wanna keep that.......

but i wouldn't mind removing this pump if it will give me extra power
same thing he sed and...

i think someone who has done it before should make a diagram of all the smog and emissions crap that you dont need and what to plug off and everything. That way people like me can look at it and do it right without having a bad running car for a couple days..lol

Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts