LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
sand it with heavy paper to get most of the texture out then go to smoother and smoother paper then you can put some fiberglass or bondo on it to get the smooth feel but its a TON of work :uh: :uh:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Water sand with 400-800 grade watersand paper...u'll get that smooth finish :) Patience is key.

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know you can sand it smooth. but i've read about guys fiberglassing all the plastic in there truck...i've fiberglassed stuff before and it is far from smooth.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
80 grit, 180, prime them with a nice filling primer, sand them with 320 & then 400 & repeat priming if nessicary. thats what i did with mine. its a big pain in the ass to do.

or you could take it a different route & use red 3m scuff pads to scratch the surface up a bit & then use primer to fill in the grain. thats another option.

id recommend the 1st way because your guaranting primer/paint adhesion to the plastic.

make sure to clean all your plastic with a degreaser before hand.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
thanks guys lol ;) just passin the info that i know out :)

i'll get a pic of a piece of the plastic i smoothed & painted in my car after work :)

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Originally posted by 96 impala girl@Aug 26 2003, 07:59 PM
80 grit, 180, prime them with a nice filling primer, sand them with 320 & then 400 & repeat priming if nessicary. thats what i did with mine. its a big pain in the ass to do.

or you could take it a different route & use red 3m scuff pads to scratch the surface up a bit & then use primer to fill in the grain. thats another option.

id recommend the 1st way because your guaranting primer/paint adhesion to the plastic.

make sure to clean all your plastic with a degreaser before hand.
:0

I THINK IM IN LOVE.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks 96. I wasn't gonna mess with it if i had to fiberglass it, everything I fiberglass should be well hidden! :biggrin: I'm tradin' in my 03 cavalier for an Xtreme blazer, and i'm tryin' to plan out all the mods. (always helps to have a plan) :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
heres a part off my impala that i did. you can see towards the top edge theres a part where i didnt smooth it out, it gives you an idea of grain vs smooth :biggrin:

·
Burbans & Lacs
2,168 Posts
Originally posted by 96 impala girl@Aug 27 2003, 09:54 PM
heres a part off my impala that i did. you can see towards the top edge theres a part where i didnt smooth it out, it gives you an idea of grain vs smooth :biggrin:

:0 wow sum1 likes that sunset orange...is this a hint of wuts to come ;)

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by 96 impala girl@Aug 27 2003, 08:54 PM

Damn!! When you get old enough, wanna get married.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 28 2003, 12:58 PM
that's the same color i was planning on doing it! HOK Sunset Pearl.
with some small ghost flames on the bottom of the doors and fenders.
that colors the bomb. ive seen alot of trucks, blazers, tahoes in that color & its sick. HOK pearls are very underated, well atleast around here. just think, i was gonna originally paint my car in tangerine...i think its an ugly color now lol.

btw, small ghost flames would be dope :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts