LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by sway_dizzle@Aug 22 2005, 11:07 PM~3673005
has anyone used snail shellsub cases? my friend tells me they are the perfect sub case.  so what do you think?

are you refering to slot vented enclosures???

with any sub, they have recommendations on an enclosure... some subs will not perform well at all in a sealed, and are recommended for ported enclosures; some subs dont perform well at all in ported enclosures, and are recommended for a sealed application...it all depends on the sub which enclosure is best...

-qs

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
they are flatter along a wider band of frequency's. P4S(makers of an SS) claims that they are louder then conventional ported enclosures but i have read that they are equal in loudness, but the SS hit more frequencys harder then ported. Not exactly a spl box, more sql. Has the Sq and response of a sealed.

if you are looking for SQ...then a snailshell will give it to you. If you build it right, it'll sound better then any ported box could dream of. Only downside is they are a bit more complex, and the average joe can't design and build one

here's how one is layed out...you can see there are a lot of angles and shit that have to be accurate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 23 2005, 02:25 PM~3677344
they are flatter along a wider band of frequency's. P4S(makers of an SS) claims that they are louder then conventional ported enclosures but i have read that they are equal in loudness, but the SS hit more frequencys harder then ported. Not exactly a spl box, more sql. Has the Sq and response of a sealed.

if you are looking for SQ...then a snailshell will give it to you. If you build it right, it'll sound better then any ported box could dream of. Only downside is they are a bit more complex, and the average joe can't design and build one

here's how one is layed out...you can see there are a lot of angles and shit that have to be accurate.

ya thats what i'm loooking for, but what are the rules when making one? also my friend said he saw a vid where a guy with to 6's in snailshells where louder than a guy with 2 15's :scrutinize:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Originally posted by sway_dizzle@Aug 24 2005, 01:17 AM~3680462
ya thats what i'm loooking for, but what are the rules when making one?  also my friend said he saw a vid where a guy with to 6's in snailshells where louder than a guy with 2 15's :scrutinize:
Heres the video your friend was talking about...

http://www.powered4sound.com/sixes.wmv

Check out the Powered 4 Sound website. They make snailshell enclosures and can probably help you out.

http://www.powered4sound.com

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I wouldnt spend 300-400bux for a damn box.....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by Jilla+Aug 24 2005, 04:06 PM~3683797-->
where could i buy one at?
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-awash242
@Aug 24 2005, 01:39 AM~3680565

Check out the Powered 4 Sound website. They make snailshell enclosures and can probably help you out.

http://www.powered4sound.com

reading with understanding is always good...

-qs

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I guess everyone is gonna ride the nuts off snail shell enclosures on this forum now...
Unless you know how to calculate them, and you can build it with exact precision, they won't be any better than a ported box, or worse. There really isn't anything special about a "snail shell", except the rename of what it was 40 years ago, a "folded horn".

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by Brahma Brian@Aug 24 2005, 05:42 PM~3685243
I guess everyone is gonna ride the nuts off snail shell enclosures on this forum now...
Unless you know how to calculate them, and you can build it with exact precision, they won't be any better than a ported box, or worse. There really isn't anything special about a "snail shell", except the rename of what it was 40 years ago, a  "folded horn".
I got one of them snail shell boxes in my car. 48" long port for my 8 :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by quadmasta@Aug 25 2005, 02:04 PM~3689944
I got one of them snail shell boxes in my car.  48" long port for my 8 :)
so thats what it was... thats the 8 you've been bringing up for a while right???

i just learned of them, so im trying to get more knowledge on the construction of one (it seems VERY VERY complex)...i honestly dont think i would have the patience or the experience to make one...(i cant cut str8 either :( )

-qs

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 25 2005, 03:43 PM~3691621
so thats what it was... thats the 8 you've been bringing up for a while right???

i just learned of them, so im trying to get more knowledge on the construction of one (it seems VERY VERY complex)...i honestly dont think i would have the patience or the experience to make one...(i cant cut str8 either :( )

-qs
Mine's just a normal slot ported box. The port just happens to be 4 feet long :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts