LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure a SB 12" sub would be better, but Im sure you guys would know more about it than I.
It is for an Accord, and right now I have my kicker comp vr, but I am thinking of getting a 12" solar baric.

Q: Do you guys think that the sb would hit alot harder and deeper than the kicker? The kicker is in a band pass box and the solar baric would be in a regular box, thats why I wouldnt know. before i shell out the 200 bucks for the solar baric, i thought I'd ask you guys first. :biggrin:

·
Banned
8,749 Posts
The kicker would hit a whole hell of alot harder especially because of the band pass box. Band pass boxes give you more boom.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
One advantage over the Kicker's is that the Solo 12's have the cone range of a 15". If you are buying the L7 then you will see the advantage. But I have heard the Kicker CVR's and they bumped pretty good also. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are gonna buy the L5's I would stick with the CVR's, but if you are gonna buy the L7's then go with the Solo's. Oh yeah both subs are made by the same company Stillwater Designs.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Sep 1 2003, 09:36 AM
One advantage over the Kicker's is that the Solo 12's have the cone range of a 15".  If you are buying the L7 then you will see the advantage.  But I have heard the Kicker CVR's and they bumped pretty good also.  It all depends on what you are looking for.  If you are gonna buy the L5's I would stick with the CVR's, but if you are gonna buy the L7's then go with the Solo's.  Oh yeah both subs are made by the same company Stillwater Designs.
[snapback]1020922[/snapback]​
i know i'm bumping a really really old topic, but oh well....lol
i'd say the cvr's have an advantage, a major one, over the l7's, or l5's, because of one instance, cone weight.....

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Not the L7, the CVR is no where near the capabilities of the L7. Well it does depend on what your running. A L7 without enough power sucks

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Jun 20 2005, 04:58 PM
Not the L7, the CVR is no where near the capabilities of the L7.  Well it does depend on what your running. A L7 without enough power sucks
[snapback]3298965[/snapback]​
indeed, but you can get cvr's for alot cheaper, and get just as loud.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
L5 = L7 Don't let the price fool ya, they are damn near dead on identical. While they are a tad louder than Comp VR's in most cases, the Comp VR sounds superior. The fact that you are comparing 2 different box styles as well, there is no way to say "this is better", not knowing how much power you have either.

Thank's for going ancient, now this topic will remain pointless.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by ibanender@Jun 21 2005, 02:36 PM
L5 = L7  Don't let the price fool ya, they are damn near dead on identical.  While they are a tad louder than Comp VR's in most cases, the Comp VR sounds superior.  The fact that you are comparing 2 different box styles as well, there is no way to say "this is better", not knowing how much power you have either.

[snapback]3302728[/snapback]​
:cool:

·
* MODERATOR*
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by ibanender+Jun 21 2005, 04:36 PM-->
[snapback]3302728[/snapback]​
[/b]
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2005, 06:10 PM
:cool:
[snapback]3303127[/snapback]​
<!--QuoteBegin-draarong2004
@Jun 20 2005, 06:00 PM
i know i'm  bumping a really really old topic, but oh well....lol
[snapback]3298718[/snapback]​

·
Registered
22 Posts
I look at it this way, the solos do slam decent, but, are the coive coils squared also? Nope. A circle pulling down a square means.....FLEX. The corners are designed to flex. Get a high dollar camera and take a pic of one during some pretty NICE xmax. you'll see more flex than you think. Flex=lost bass. but, they're SUPER clean when butted up against each other in a wall, lol.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by MazDAMN@Jun 23 2005, 12:26 AM
I look at it this way, the solos do slam decent, but, are the coive coils squared also? Nope. A circle pulling down a square means.....FLEX. The corners are designed to flex. Get a high dollar camera and take a pic of one during some pretty NICE xmax. you'll see more flex than you think. Flex=lost bass. but, they're SUPER clean when butted up against each other in a wall, lol.
[snapback]3309412[/snapback]​
:0 :biggrin:
and this is why i prefer "perfectly" round subs, over squares.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Originally posted by MazDAMN@Jun 23 2005, 01:26 AM
[snapback]3309412[/snapback]​
Ever notice that the cone has ridges in it? That prevents flex! There is flex with virtually every speaker cone, most of the time its so minimal it would take a laser grid to show you. Flex = poor sound quality. One big reason they sound like ass is the cone material. Plastic cones suck ass, especially ABS like they use.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Originally posted by MazDAMN@Jun 23 2005, 05:12 PM
I like the sound of 'SOME' aluminum subs.
[snapback]3312213[/snapback]​
And those aren't plastic are they..... Ya know why you like the sound of SOME aluminum subs and not all? Look at the thickness of the cone and that will probably tell you right off. Push on an Audiobahn aluminum cone and watch it flex. Push on an Eclipse and it wont.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by ibanender@Jun 23 2005, 05:20 PM
And those aren't plastic are they.....  Ya know why you like the sound of SOME aluminum subs and not all?  Look at the thickness of the cone and that will probably tell you right off.  Push on an Audiobahn aluminum cone and watch it flex.  Push on an Eclipse and it wont.
[snapback]3312525[/snapback]​
but both of them suck ;)

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
I had some Esclipse that worked very well, but what are we looking for as far as sound. A sub is primarily used to produce Low Frequency, Kicker Solo Barics do that very well, yeah they are overpriced, but they are a very nice Low Frequency speaker.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Jun 24 2005, 01:03 PM
I had some Esclipse that worked very well, but what are we looking for as far as sound.  A sub is primarily used to produce Low Frequency, Kicker Solo Barics do that very well, yeah they are overpriced, but they are a very nice Low Frequency speaker.
[snapback]3315696[/snapback]​
1 entry found for subwoofer.
Main Entry: subwoofer
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: a loudspeaker that reproduces the powerful low (sub-bass) frequencies

1 - 20 of 27 Posts