LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey, We run a 12 battery 3 pump setup, two banks at 72 volts each, anyway we run 3 solenoids per pump in series (I'm not even sure how cool that is, thats just how we got it) and on the weekend while we were playin around one of the solenoids (for the front pump) actually exploded! Blew out the side and went up in flames.. So after the smoke cleared and we replaced the solenoids the dumps for the rear pumps don't wanna dump!! They will dump if we crack the pressure on the hydraulic line to each.. but then they won't dump again.. pumps are going up sweet, the front is going up and dumping.. but both back dumps wont go..
I've checked the earth on the dumps, it's fine.. Haven't checked the switch wiring, but they are working if there's not much pressure behind them..

Also, any ideas why the solenoid might've exploded like that?? Whats the best way to check your solenoids are still working without removing them?

thank you for your help...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
3 should be fine

sounds like ur dumps are pressure locking maybe swollen stems try replacing the stems

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
swap the dump stick that wont work with one that does..that will show you if it is the stick or not...........

exploding solenoid is most likely that they are mounted too near batteries...........there is going to be some internal sparking at 72v and if this is near the gas discharge from the batts............BOOM :)

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
make sure your switchbox power is hooked up to 24 volts, and make sure it is getting 24 volts. (weak battery?)

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
what kinda of dumps are you running?

i would check that all your wiring is correct and that no bare wires are touching each other....make sure they are grounded...check the switch wiring

·
Registered
970 Posts
yup yup switch wiring is where i would start 3 solonoids per pump is straight maybe oil leaked from pump or hoses into the solonoids boom? :uh:

·
Registered
970 Posts
o ya i forgot, have u tried hotwiring the dump solonoid to 24 volts? :0

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would be willing to bet that it is a switch problem either:

A) the switch box is hooked up on the wrong battery (should be 24v)

B) One or more switches are sticking (this would cause the solenoid to try to stay engaged and burn up to the point of melting down and exploiding, and burn up the dump coils and possibly swelling the cartridge)

C) Wires in the trunk and/or in the switch box are touching causing the same effect as B.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
you know whats funny,i just had this very same thing happen to me.but my dumps are still ok.

·
Registered
25,987 Posts
Originally posted by KrazyGreenLac@Feb 7 2005, 06:39 AM
you know whats funny,i just had this very same thing happen to me.but my dumps are still ok.
[snapback]2691486[/snapback]​
the switch

·
Super Triple Double OG OG
22,641 Posts
id look at the switches to..... make sure one or more isnt stuck open...

also.. when trying to figure solenoids out.. dont go with .. so many per pump, use the average of 1 noid, per 2 batteries.. which in this case would still be 3, since you are running 6 batteries per pump.

·
Registered
627 Posts
make sure that your wiring did not fry after the fire, you might just have swollen dump stems

1 - 19 of 19 Posts