LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about many automotive circuits that use a switch on the ground side, due to the fact that the device act as an "insulation" for the spark that would've occured if the switch were located on the power side..

ive seen split banks, and a few methods of running solenoids, and i wondered, why dont people run solenoids before the batteries?(gnd side)

i think i remember seeing theis or a similar question posted, but with all the solenoid topics, searching wouldve left me in the same position as if i were to skim through pages...

so, does anybody run solenoids before the batteries?, and if so, have you noticed a difference in solenoid life?

thanks...

eazy :cool:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by wayne64ss@Oct 14 2006, 10:39 AM~6367272
easy, i think a good ground will spark more than on the power side thats why no solonoid style quick disconnects hold up. just a thought i could be wrong
could be true....
i was just wondering.... because most automotive circuits use a ground side switch for that reason...

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i asked a professor about it yesterday, and that was the explanation he gave me.. said the "device" absorbs the spark

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 14 2006, 07:44 AM~6367280
i asked a professor about it yesterday, and that was the explanation he gave me.. said the "device" absorbs the spark

i think the reason is because normally problems occur when the earth connects involuntry, like a 'short', if your solenoids stick on the +VE side your back-up is the kill switch on the -VE side, but if you have them the other way around and your sols stick that kill switch will get hot very quickly

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Originally posted by Unity_Jon@Oct 16 2006, 06:08 AM~6376831
i think the reason is because normally problems occur when the earth connects involuntry, like a 'short', if your solenoids stick on the +VE side your back-up is the kill switch on the -VE side, but if you have them the other way around and your sols stick that kill switch will get hot very quickly

Thanks Professor for that answer :biggrin:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Unity_Jon@Oct 16 2006, 09:08 AM~6376831
but, if you ran the disconnect before the solenoids, you'd be all good.....right?

i see it possiby being a nuisance if you were running multiple pumps though, as you'd need a junction box, or a couple of extra cables connecting the banks of solenoids to gnd

i think im going to try this when i finally get around to juicing my car.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts