LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about welding up some solid metal motor and tranny mounts to my frame... but im worried about possibly having it vibrate my car, or break something else, or any other possible problem...

ive seen that the dudes from hi-caliber use square tube to mount the motors down, and they drive thier cars all over the place... do they just put up with the vibration? or are they doing somethin i dont know about?

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
i ve seen a few cars(hoppers) with this done i am going to do it to my car. i don't know about drivein on it tho?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by juandik@Oct 5 2003, 02:17 PM
i ve seen a few cars(hoppers) with this done i am going to do it to my car. i don't know about drivein on it tho?
yeah see thats my problem.. i wanna drive... i mean like 2 hour trips up to niagra falls and shit...

i know big pimpin had solid mounts, and he supposedly drove that linc everywhere... and i guess that green elco has got solid mounts and they say thats "built for the streets" so.. i dunno...

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
yeah thats right the green eclo pics showed that . never knew big pimpin had'em .

i guess i will fine with mine done like that .

i hope cause i plan to drive too chicago in june

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
solid motor mounts are used by racers alot.

they give you extra power, problem is you will feel you car idling and the drive is rough.

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
i have strait metal mounts on my 52 w/stroker in it all frame is 2x4 1/4" wall boxed frame when it ran my motor was pretty smooth when i steped on the gas in park i would feel the car dip to the side i like it better than rubber mounts personaly

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob@Oct 5 2003, 07:05 PM
You can get polyurethane mounts, which are much tougher than rubber, but still gives some good vibration dampening. I am running poly engine and trans mounts on my caddy and they work very well.
yes i thought of doin the poly thing.. but they are kinda pricey.. plus trying to find them for a 77 monte isnt easy.. id most likely have to order them online.. whereas i could make solid mounts for free...

but i guess then id have to figure if itd really be worth it if the metal mounts are too stiff and vibrate my car...

i had the rotating assembly balanced in my motor so that should help reduce the vibrations..

and thanks joe bomber for your input :thumbsup: :biggrin:

·
Hot Head President
5,431 Posts
i say SOLID mounts are the way to go...on the motor, id use a polyurethene on the trans though...but thats me.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Silver@Oct 5 2003, 08:22 PM
i say SOLID mounts are the way to go...on the motor, id use a polyurethene on the trans though...but thats me.
really? why just poly on the tranny? ive always thought that you should use all the same kind of mount for both the motor and the tranny... ive heard stories where people have cracked tanny housings/bell housings cause they didnt... :dunno:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have soild motor mounts and never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
go with metal there is no other way to make sure you will not have to be under you car and be replaceing the mounts , people say poly it good but alot of us have tried them and many other things but once you put in 2 or 3 sets then you will be mad at youir self for not going with metal, the only bad thing about metal mounts are that you will fill alot of the vibrations (spelling) from the engine but one you drive it 2 or 3 times with them in you wont even know that you have them

just my 2 cents :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by 82onJUICE@Oct 5 2003, 08:53 PM
go with metal there is no other way to make sure you will not have to be under you car and be replaceing the mounts , people say poly it good but alot of us have tried them and many other things but once you put in 2 or 3 sets then you will be mad at youir self for not going with metal, the only bad thing about metal mounts are that you will fill alot of the vibrations (spelling) from the engine but one you drive it 2 or 3 times with them in you wont even know that you have them

just my 2 cents :biggrin:
okay so ill just solid mount my motor and tranny, but rubermount my steering column and dash? :biggrin: thanks for the advice man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
yeah i am poly the tranny mount because it does not get any real stress put on it and it might even help to keep every thing a little smoother but i would stay with the solid on the engine no matter what

your welcome man that what this site is for i think some people have forgot that :angry:

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by Silver@Oct 5 2003, 08:22 PM
bad idea.....puts uneeded stress on the transmission housing. if you can't live with the vibration then stick with regular mounts.
:biggrin:

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Solid mounts on the motor...rubber on the tranny. Thats what I did and yes I drove the shit out of it. The engine idled smooth so there was no excessive vibrations. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well aight then, i guess thats what i gotta do.. :biggrin: :cheesy:

·
Hot Head President
5,431 Posts
like i said, i would do solid on the motor, and poly or rubber on the trans...youre gonna get vibes on the trans housing anywayz cuz of the solid motor mounts , so why not try to smooth out the vibrations with a poly/rubber trans mounts. i say go for it homie, you got a lot of good opinions/views, and like the other rider said, thats what this site is for, to help each other out. :biggrin: :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts