LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive posted my question and nobody answered it. im thinking of puttiing 8 inch subs in my rear doors, the factory windows arnt meant to roll down. my question is.... who makes a good 8 inch sub. also id like to stay cheap if possible. im think 200 watts max each.someone help me out here. also would two 12's and two 8's sound ok together?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Well, a lot of people make 8" subs... I think JL makes them, and Resonant Engineering definately does... i wouldn't know any other than those two companies, because i've never really been into 8" subs ;)

Also, i've heard it's never a good idea to mix sub sizes unless you're going to be running them on seperate amps, and even then i'd say only have the 12s going at one time, or the 8s at one time.

Actually, at the moment i'm working on installing two 8s in my car. They're going to be installed on the rear deck (where the 6x9s are), so that i can get some nice mid-bass in the car, while the 15s in the trunk pump the lowend bass out. the 15s and the 8s are on seperate amps, so if i'm listening to rock, i can just flip a switch under my heat unit and the 15s amp will turn off. likewise, if i'm listening to rap (95% of the time) i'll flip another switch, turning the 8s amp off and the 15s amp on... you know.

Last edited by Stealth at Jan 12 2004, 03:32 PM

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
JL makes the 8IB4 or something like that, it's meant as a free air woofer so it's ideal for doors, and midbass applications. Not sure if they still make them but i'm sure you can find them on ebay or somwhere similar

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
actually now that i think about it, there's a lot of companies that make 8" subs... Pyramid, Sony, Audiobahn, Rockford Fosgate, Boss, even Kicker has its little 8" square subs :p ;) LOL

and yeah, i remember JL having the 8W3V2, so they definately make at least one range of 8" subs, and of course they've got the 8" W7

Last edited by Stealth at Jan 12 2004, 03:37 PM

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the quick response guys. they would be running off a second amp. ive read about people having 2 10's and 2 12's so i thought about trying 8 inchers. i dont need free air subs im going to make fiberglass door panels with enclosures build in.

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
if i were you and putting 8's in my doors, i would build an aperiodic enclosure and run the JL 8IB4's

But i don't think you need that much midbass for an average pair of 10's or 12's.

Last edited by 1ofaknd at Jan 12 2004, 06:32 PM

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by yodawagon@Jan 12 2004, 11:19 PM
would running a pair of 12's and a pair of 8's sound bad?
depends. But usually people run 8's in there doors when they have a massive amount of bass to contend with, and need to heighten their midbass. For instance, a buddy of mine had an early 90's camaro with 12 15's and we had 8's in his doors. Just depends how much low end you plan on having

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well right now im running a pair of pioneer premiers off a ppi amp. the speakers are hitting pretty hard the box is actually flexing.im just looking for something different , and ive never really seen that before.

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by yodawagon@Jan 12 2004, 11:51 PM
well right now im running a pair of pioneer premiers off a ppi amp. the speakers are hitting pretty hard the box is actually flexing.im just looking for something different , and ive never really seen that before.
believe me, lots of ppl run 8's in there doors, it's not a new thing. And you pretty much have to do a fiberglass build out as well. hell i've even seen a 12 in the door on an s10. of course the window only rolled down halfway.... :cool:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Originally posted by yodawagon@Jan 12 2004, 09:51 PM
If you can physically see your enclosure flexing. . . that isnt a good thing.

You should get or build a better quality box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts