LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

Sound difference

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Cruz_Campos 
#1 ·
What would the sound difference be in using a ported box or a sealed box?

Thanks

LM

#3 ·
The main reason that most people choose a ported to a sealed enclosure is a much higher dB level. The sound purist, on the other hand, might choose the ported design because of a lower tuning frequency. The major drawback, however, is that a ported box can be nearly twice the size of a sealed one, if designed correctly. For example, I designed a sealed box for three 12w6s in a Suburban that was 4.5 cubic feet. Later, my customer decided that he wanted a ported design. The new box (including the port) measured just over 6.5 cubic feet.

#6 ·
Sealed box:
More accurate bass reproduction (no port noise, no uneven db boost)
Generally requires a small enclosure
Higher power handling
Not as loud as ported (made for SQL, not SPL)

Ported Box:
Produces more spl with less power
Less accurate bass reproduction (but higher SPL)
Generally requires a larger enclosure
Box tuning is critical for best performance (made sure your box builder knows what they are doing)

#10 ·
a ported box is ur friend if u can fit a ported box get one for the right subs they can more then double the output of ur subs. some people think that a seal sounds better but this is a myth jus made by people that have the wrong box size and port tuned. a ported box makes the real low note alot louder while some of the higher notes will be only as loud as a sealed box but the low notes r the important ones

#11 ·
Originally posted by northwestG@Sep 25 2003, 09:10 PM
a ported box is ur friend if u can fit a ported box get one for the right subs they can more then double the output of ur subs. some people think that a seal sounds better but this is a myth jus made by people that have the wrong box size and port tuned. a ported box makes the real low note alot louder while some of the higher notes will be only as loud as a sealed box but the low notes r the important ones
This person, is an idiot. A ported cabinet cannot "more than double" the output of your subs. You can pull anywhere on average from a 3db to 6db gain depending on how the box is tuned.

And also on average, sealed cabinets are always more accurate and have a flatter response. They dont have any odd peaks and valleys in their sound reproduction due to frequency spikes. Ported cabinets can play certain frequencies (whatever they are tuned for) louder, and only those frequencies. Hence, some music will sound great, other music will not. That fact becomes really noticable with bandpass type enclosures.

Ported enclosures as well as sealed both have advantages and disadvantages, it all depends on your specefic application. Just be wary of fucktards who try to make blanket statements about what works and what doesnt, they are usually full of shit.

#12 ·
I've heard--------
sealed- more flat response more range and control but also that the pressure they hold can cause freuqency leaks through the cone causing slight distortion ..
ported - obvious bump in response--db where it's tuned to and cleaner response -- dosn't play fq under the tuned fq well with less control and the possibilities of port noise as well..

#13 ·
Originally posted by Mr. Big Stuff@Sep 21 2003, 12:05 AM
The main reason that most people choose a ported to a sealed enclosure is a much higher dB level. The sound purist, on the other hand, might choose the ported design because of a lower tuning frequency. The major drawback, however, is that a ported box can be nearly twice the size of a sealed one, if designed correctly. For example, I designed a sealed box for three 12w6s in a Suburban that was 4.5 cubic feet. Later, my customer decided that he wanted a ported design. The new box (including the port) measured just over 6.5 cubic feet.
hey whats up bro
i was just wondering what shop u worked at or owned ?

brian

#14 ·
What up Southsider,
If you are looking for my shop in the phonebook, you won't find it. I used to work at a "boutique" (very high-end) shop in the 909, but due to the fact that my boss was playing tricks w/ my checks, I decided to leave. I took my years of training and put them to use right here in my garage. I don't advertise cuz I get all the business I need from word of mouth. I've done work for Uniques D.E. & Yuma, Duke's Riv. Co., Empire So. Cal., and VW Vixens to name a few. I've also done some work for a few of the Anaheim Angels and some pro BMX riders. There's always some of my work floating around at shows. Keep an eye out. I only do in-depth systems (audio/video, upholstery, security) for people that I know or that are referred to me because it can be a big liability. However, I will build custom enclosures (built to exact specs) for anyone.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Mr. Big Stuff@Sep 30 2003, 12:30 AM
What up Southsider,
If you are looking for my shop in the phonebook, you won't find it. I used to work at a "boutique" (very high-end) shop in the 909, but due to the fact that my boss was playing tricks w/ my checks, I decided to leave. I took my years of training and put them to use right here in my garage. I don't advertise cuz I get all the business I need from word of mouth. I've done work for Uniques D.E. & Yuma, Duke's Riv. Co., Empire So. Cal., and VW Vixens to name a few. I've also done some work for a few of the Anaheim Angels and some pro BMX riders. There's always some of my work floating around at shows. Keep an eye out. I only do in-depth systems (audio/video, upholstery, security) for people that I know or that are referred to me because it can be a big liability. However, I will build custom enclosures (built to exact specs) for anyone.
mr. big stuff,

maybe we can exchange some knowledge, i can handle all of your hydro, bag and other miscellaneaus inquiries.

the last time i put a system together it consisted of 100% fosgate equipment, that will tell you how long ago that was.

i really need an update.

:),

cc

#17 ·
Any time bro! Ask away and I will do my best to answer. Any chance that either of you guys will be in Vegas this weekend? I'l have some of my work both in the show and cruising on the strip.

Mike

p.s. there is still nothing wrong with Fosgate :biggrin:

#18 ·
Originally posted by Mr. Big Stuff@Oct 1 2003, 08:54 PM
Any time bro! Ask away and I will do my best to answer. Any chance that either of you guys will be in Vegas this weekend? I'l have some of my work both in the show and cruising on the strip.

Mike

p.s. there is still nothing wrong with Fosgate :biggrin:
i won't be in vegas.

on the fosgate answer, i hope :), its pretty much all i've ever worked on.

:cheesy: ,

cc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.