LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is some of the screws are on tight but I have a couple where they won't tighten at all. What can I do to make all the screws tighten on the mdf.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
use tnuts next time...

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by Pitbullx@Sep 9 2005, 08:42 AM~3781836
use tnuts next time...
you can't use t-nuts for the contruction of the box itself. those are for mounting the subwoofer.

i'm sure he means he strips the hole when screwing the box together.
Properly pre-drill your holes and it shouldn't happen

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
You should always pre-drill a hole when making a speaker box. If you don't the wood can buldge and become a bitch, look bad, function bad etc...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
They don't hold as nicely. I mean Kicker Comp or Kicker Solo-X.......

Typical box build, cut it, pre-drill holes, apply glue, screw togather. Seal inside cracks with silicon..... If it's a really powerful subwoofer/s add some internal support on the walls of the box.

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by CastAwayWilson@Sep 9 2005, 01:42 PM~3783294
They don't hold as nicely. I mean Kicker Comp or Kicker Solo-X....... 

i always use a nailgun..my xxx enclosures haven't had any problems.

and what's kicker got to do with anything?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Sep 9 2005, 02:00 PM~3784120
then t-nuts are your friend!!

Yeah, I am going to go to Home depot and get some. What type of screws should I use. The one's in that pic look hella long. So when I put them in I should never have to check for looseness again right.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Sep 9 2005, 04:00 PM~3784120
then t-nuts are your friend!!

so um yea I was right :)
and you dont need nails or screws to build a box if you know what you are doing and have the right tools.... all the fasteners do is keep the box together while the glue dries

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't find it anywhere, figured I'd go ghetto this weekend and use some wall anchors till those T-nuts come in thru the mail. Now I got to work on the trunk and license plate rattling.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You dont have to use the T-nuts, and I can think of a ton of instances where you wouldnt be able to use them due to wood density.

If you use wood screws to hold in your sub, and for one reason or another it just starts spinning in place....just have some wood putty handy to fill the hole that you just screwed up...let it dry and re-drill. Remember, when you use MDF for making boxes, all MDF is is a mixture of sawdust and epoxy....so if you have to fill a hole and retap it, why not be with somehting thats epoxy based like wood filler?

Now a really great thing to do is to double baffle a box if your subwoofer weight per sub exceeds 30 lbs. Hell i put regular wood screws right thru a double baffle and I normally put subs in boxes that way over 45lbs each. Holds it just fine.

T-nuts do have their place though... They are required for some competitons as an anchoring method for your subs. I dont remember which ones right now (its hard enoiugh keeping up with MECA rules).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingBulletz@Sep 8 2005, 09:17 PM~3780337
My problem is  some of the screws are on tight but I have a couple where they won't tighten at all.  What can I do to make all the screws tighten on the mdf.

Simply fill in that hole with glue and move about 1" to the side of it, pilot a TINY hole, countersink the hole then put the scres in by hand for the absolute best fit. I make every box that way, nothing short of a super high quality box!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Sep 9 2005, 05:45 PM~3783309
i always use a nailgun..my xxx enclosures haven't had any problems.

and what's kicker got to do with anything?
Just saying, nails may not be sufficient for some applications. Granted you don't listen to your XXX at make your ears bleeds volume every where you go.

Not like screws are expensive.

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by CastAwayWilson@Sep 10 2005, 03:00 PM~3788629
Just saying, nails may not be sufficient for some applications. Granted you don't listen to your XXX at make your ears bleeds volume every where you go.

Not like screws are expensive.
screws are time consuming...i'm a busy busy man :biggrin: lol

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Sep 10 2005, 08:27 PM~3789450
screws are time consuming...i'm a busy busy man :biggrin: lol
lmao

they are a bitch... takes forever to pre drill, then screw those fuckers in, even using a drill to screw them in seems to be an all day project...

-qs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts