LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 Buick regal, this model is designed to have 2 4x10s in the rear and 2 3" speakers in the front. I recently purchased new 4x10s for the rear and still have the sock 3". They need to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone knew where i can find 6x9 brackets for rear mounting? Could i fabricate my own with ease if they are hard to attain? Also, I am not going to replace the 3" but rather get a bigger speaker, like a 6" speaker or maybe 6x9s if i can find a way to fit. I think i may mount the 6 inches where your feet are under the dash and build boxes for them. Is this a good idea? Can i buy boxes for 6" speakers? and also is there any suggestions for setting up the front speakers in a different manner that would seem more effective? If there is anyone else out there with a g-body tell me what you did with your sound system, because im open for suggestions. I don't need brand names just size and positioning.

Thanks,
Collin

·
Banned
9,973 Posts
I'm not sure where you can pick up brackets for the 6x9s, but you can make your own, as for the box for the dash, I don't think they make them for 6's, even if they did, it probly wouldnt fit under your dash, your better off just making your own

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by Collin@Sep 3 2005, 02:33 PM~3745786
I have a 1986 Buick regal, this model is designed to have 2 4x10s in the rear and 2 3" speakers in the front. I recently purchased new 4x10s for the rear and still have the sock 3". They need to be replaced. I was wondering if anyone knew where i can find 6x9 brackets for rear mounting? Could i fabricate my own with ease if they are hard to attain? Also, I am not going to replace the 3" but rather get a bigger speaker, like a 6" speaker or maybe 6x9s if i can find a way to fit. I think i may mount the 6 inches where your feet are under the dash and build boxes for them. Is this a good idea? Can i buy boxes for 6" speakers? and also is there any suggestions for setting up the front speakers in a different manner that would seem more effective? If there is anyone else out there with a g-body tell me what you did with your sound system, because im open for suggestions. I don't need brand names just size and positioning.

Thanks,
Collin
i believe they do make kick panel enclosures for your g-body, just gotta look around, i'd ditch the 3" speakers though, all they act like are big tweeters, but some 6.5's with 1" tweeters in some kick enclosures would be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a question for G-body owners, do regular 6x9 speaker boxes fit in the rear? If not does anyone have an idea of where i can put the speakers?

·
Registered
180 Posts
No the boxes dont fit - yeah they make 6x9 to 4x10 adapters that hang the speakers low off the rear deck and they work fine .

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Originally posted by Collin@Sep 3 2005, 07:24 PM~3746965
This is a question for G-body owners, do regular 6x9 speaker boxes fit in the rear? If not does anyone have an idea of where i can put the speakers?
i just spent a day cutting the holes bigger to fit my 6x9s in the rear. also what alot of people do is make a wood rear deck with big enough holes for 6x9s and then cut out the existing metal deck and replace with wooden deck....hope it helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that helps, do you guys have a link to where I can get the 6x9 hangers? That would be helpful. If that doesnt work then i'll just make some custom boxes. Heres another question for you g-body guys. Any good places for putting a small sub in the car? Something like an 8 or 9 inch one. I was thinking in between the front seats because i have a bench. Idk just a thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Originally posted by Papi_J@Sep 3 2005, 09:13 PM~3747545
No the boxes dont fit - yeah they make 6x9 to 4x10 adapters that hang the speakers low off the rear deck and they work fine .
i couldn't do that cause the trunk bars that keep your trunk open are in the way and don't give you to much room :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Colin - up front subs are sweet better sound and more in your face so to say .
The hangers you can get at crutchfield .
texas - howd you cut the holes for 6x9's - the deck is only like 5.5 " wide at the speaker holes .

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
i think one of the dummest things you can do is put a 6x9 free air speaker in a 6x9 box sold at walmart.....so if thats what your refering to to boxes under your rear deck....lose the idea

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Originally posted by Papi_J@Sep 3 2005, 11:34 PM~3748265
texas - howd you cut the holes for 6x9's - the deck is only like 5.5 " wide at the speaker holes .
kinda tricky but it worked
and yes the rear seat is faded, its getting replaced :happysad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
^--- is that in the rear deck of a regal?
doesnt look like it..

ive been wanting some 6x9s in my rear dash too.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Sep 5 2005, 03:48 AM~3754378
^--- is that in the rear deck of a regal?
doesnt look like it..

ive been wanting some 6x9s in my rear dash too.
its in my 87 LS :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there any good 4x10's out there? All I want is for my 4x10s to be able to play max volume from my deck, I'm not amping them, so is there a set of 4x10s that would run max volume on a 55 watt deck?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Originally posted by Collin@Sep 5 2005, 04:20 PM~3756242
Is there any good 4x10's out there? All I want is for my 4x10s to be able to play max volume from my deck, I'm not amping them, so is there a set of 4x10s that would run max volume on a 55 watt deck?
NO.....

volume whore.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by Collin@Sep 5 2005, 04:20 PM~3756242
55watts peak buddy, prolly only 22 watts RMS each channel, and depending on your HU, you wont get the volume knob pass 75% without getting distortion no matter what type of 4x10's you put in there... if you wanna get load, i suggest you amp the door speakers and lets hope your HU preamp outputs are either 4volt of 5 volt...

-qs

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Sep 5 2005, 06:08 PM~3757336
55watts peak buddy, prolly only 22 watts RMS each channel, and depending on your HU, you wont get the volume knob pass 75% without getting distortion no matter what type of 4x10's you put in there... if you wanna get load, i suggest you amp the door speakers and lets hope your HU preamp outputs are either 4volt of 5 volt...

-qs
you'd be lucky to find 55 watts peak from any deck, unless its that speacialific jensen that puts out 400 watts....lol, cough lie cough. most decks your lucky to see 40 watts max, because your using the stock wiring harness, lots of resistance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts