LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iaght i put caddy spindles, with a 1 inch belly split, with caprice uppers. On a 79 malillac.. Or malibu... My problem is the pass side wheel is wobling left to right. Ive replaced all of the stering components. Still has woble at slow speeds win hitting bumps.
Should i put the tie rods on top of spindle cause angle to steep?
If any one has experienced this or can help with any answers id appriciate it. Swangalangs outty

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
jack up the front end and wiggle the steering you should be able to see what is slippin...

my car did kinda the same thing and it ended up being the idler arm or was it the pitman arm cant remember

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WE replaced the one on the pass side it was good for a min but still wobles. We think cause the angle of the arms does'nt push side to side straight now it's trying to push up and side to side and just wares the fuck out of the idler arm. Thats why we wanted to know if anyone has fliped the arms to the top of the spindle instead of the bottom?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
i dont see it having any adverce effects it might hit on something not sure...

is your steering under the oil pan or the engine pullies?

in front or behind the lower cross member?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
:( just put all the idler arms, tie rods, bushings, etc... brand new... Like I said, splitting a frame shouldn't be a problem of tire wobble...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
this is a question of my own. not an ansewr to yours, i know nothing about bellt splits.

could it be the wheel bearing?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey nacho we put all new shit on there.. Still has a woble at slow speeds while hiting bumps. I dont think its from splittin the belly i think its the caddy spindles cause the tie rods are at a steep angle!!
We also shimmed the steering box and the pitman arm!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Originally posted by swangalangs@Dec 9 2003, 11:28 AM
hey nacho we put all new shit on there.. Still has a woble at slow speeds while hiting bumps. I dont think its from splittin the belly i think its the caddy spindles cause the tie rods are at a steep angle!!
We also shimmed the steering box and the pitman arm!!!
I get tha same shit with my car. But I have stock spindles with cadi arms extended and inch and reinforced. I have put new bearings and everything also. It's done it on the freeway when slowing down and when I hit the brakes it gets even worse. Feels like tha car is going to fall apart. :biggrin: But it only does it once and a while.

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
you can't put it on the top of the steering knuckle becuase they are tapered fit.....could also be a problem if the malibu tie rod is a bit smaller than the hole in the steering knuckle.....

·
Registered
970 Posts
well i was thinkin if every thing is new it should be nice and tight , what if the problem is a broken belt on your tire try swapping tires from the side that shakes with the one that does not,with all that stress on them wheels it would not suprise me! hope it helps ,KREWL :puffin:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Originally posted by milkweed@Dec 9 2003, 01:58 AM
jack up the front end and wiggle the steering you should be able to see what is slippin...

my car did kinda the same thing and it ended up being the idler arm or was it the pitman arm cant remember
I just asked one of the OGs about this and he said almost the same thing, put the car up on jacks, then wiggle each individual tire for free play. You will be able to tell if its the tie rods, bearings or loose ball joints. When you do this mod you should always be new bushings and suspensions parts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WE did everything you guys are talking about. When we shake it back and forth the play is in the pitman arm and its brand new. Its like the angle of the arms are to steep and its pushing up on the pitman arm and wearing it out.. Has anyone tried drilling the spindles out to put tie rod on top?

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Originally posted by swangalangs@Dec 10 2003, 06:52 AM
WE did everything you guys are talking about. When we shake it back and forth the play is in the pitman arm and its brand new. Its like the angle of the arms are to steep and its pushing up on the pitman arm and wearing it out.. Has anyone tried drilling the spindles out to put tie rod on top?
you will have even more play if you drill out the spindlescuz you will yave to re taper them the opposite way........your talking bout your idler arm right? cuz the pitman is bolted directly to the steering box

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea the idler arm on pass side.. What if we put bushing in other side of hole to make it tight? spindle hole were tie rodgoes

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
what is the spindle made of?

could always cut the knuckle off...flip it and reweld it back on :dunno:

but most likely you got a problem somewhere else

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
check the hole sizes on the spindles...

Example:
65 ford falcons... in order to put disc brakes on them you need the front suspension off a 75 Granada... It will go right in. However, you had to weld the spindle and make new holes... so that it can be the correct size... the hole from the granada is a bit bigger... when you stop, the tires will wobble...

You should check that...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
My car did the same thing when I first put my caprice a arms on my cutlass. I could not figure out what the problem was until I needed a tire up front. I bought 2 tires for the front and the problem seemed to go away. Try changing your rear tires to the front and see what happens. It may be a balanceing problem or something similar.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts