LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to take spokes out of a bike rim and put them back with out getting the rim out of wack? I want to take some out and paint them

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
yea i wanna kno also :confused:

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Originally posted by 64@Dec 6 2003, 07:15 PM
how hard is it to take spokes out of a bike rim and put them back with out getting the rim out of wack? I want to take some out and paint them
I heard that you can't reuse spokes, you have to take a new spoke, paint it, then lace it into the wheel.

K. Diaz

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
carefully, loosen them all up carefully then take them out. keep the rims flat and not stacked(Bike shop pro told me). try not to force spokes in its a good way of making your rim go out of wack :cool:

·
Registered
48,347 Posts
If you completely take apart a rim, I would recommend taking it to a bike shop and having them put it back together. Unless you have done it before and are good at it. I dont know how much they charge but I think it wuld be worth it. If you are painting or powdercoating you spokes dont forget to do the head or the part that goes on the axle. It adds good detail to your rims.

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
Originally posted by socios b.c. prez@Dec 6 2003, 11:02 PM
If you completely take apart a rim, I would recommend taking it to a bike shop and having them put it back together. Unless you have done it before and are good at it. I dont know how much they charge but I think it wuld be worth it. If you are painting or powdercoating you spokes dont forget to do the head or the part that goes on the axle. It adds good detail to your rims.
truing costs about 20 to 30 bucks no more than that. about 70 to put them togheter

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
also just do one or two spokes at a time. remove it, paint it, and put it back on. one of my homies did it this way and the rims is still str8. he rides it almost everyday

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by tonedeaf@Dec 7 2003, 01:36 AM
also just do one or two spokes at a time. remove it, paint it, and put it back on. one of my homies did it this way and the rims is still str8. he rides it almost everyday
Thats what I was thiking about doing :cheesy:

Thanks for the info

·
LAC RIDAH
12,407 Posts
Dude. It's easy. I've done both of my 72's that are on the ground now (I ride the bike daily) and I've done my old spare. For most daytons which are straight lace just take the nipples off fromt the inside with a flat head screw driver and then after you're done painting you put the spokes throught the hub with the spoke head facing outside (the round smooth part). On the rim there should be a pattern with the holes. Left right left right left right. On the spokes that are on the left lace them up (screw on the nipple) to a left hole and vice versa. And then after you're done if it's not already tight tighted the nipples with that flat head screwdriver until it won't go any more or atleast until it's nice and tight. If all nipples are tightened to the same extent then it's guranteed to be true. No wobbles or anything. First I'd advise to experiment on another wheel though. But after you think you got it try it! It's the coolest thing in the world to know that you laced up your own set of custom one-of-a-kind wheels. Right now I'm doing up some fans and bondoing up the extra holes on the barrels (outer rim) and then painting them so the look like painted fans. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats some good info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts