LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of primer do yall recommend for wood?

i am going to paint my speaker box and want a really high qualtiy and glossy result.

what are the exact steps? ive only spray painted plastic before. i need wood tips. thanks yall.

primer
sand
paint
gloss?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
try painters touch primer, you can pick it up at ur home depot

·
Registered
110 Posts
sand it, deft it, sand it,seal it(or primer), sand it, paint it, sand it, paint it, then clear it w/glooss clear. :biggrin:

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol ok but whats deft?

·
Registered
110 Posts
deft pulls up the small fibers on the woods surface. After application and drying, sand it. Do this twice to the surface you want to paint. Deft comes in spray or quart. I recommend spray and it can be bought at Home Depot

Last edited by uniques67 at Jul 25 2003, 06:30 AM

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn ok so i need alot of sprays

i need
deft
primer
2cans of paint
and 2 cans of gloss

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
when you get crackin on ur box, post up some progress pix. i wanna see :cheesy:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Jul 24 2003, 04:38 PM
what kind of primer do yall recommend for wood?

i am going to paint my speaker box and want a really high qualtiy and glossy result.

what are the exact steps? ive only spray painted plastic before. i need wood tips. thanks yall.

primer
sand
paint
gloss?
What type of wood??...mdf..particle...

How large of surface...is it flat...curvy...ect.

Actualy, on any surface larger than a shoebox... you really should use a light coat of fiberglass resin and smooth out ( might need to use a little bondo during prossess, depending on how smooth you lay your glass)....then pretty much just follow like the other guys are saying......sand, filler/primer, sand, paint 3-4 coats, clear coat 5-6 coats, ...I know it seems like a lot of coats,..but thats what you have to do w/ spray-paints to get it to look good. These steps are tried & true for me...I wouldn't tell you anything unless I was confident it works.
Have fun!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by revolution 20/20 at Jul 25 2003, 05:43 AM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts