LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I apologize if this has been a post already, and it may sound stupid,.. but does any one know if you can do paint work w/ automotive spray-paints.
Or would I just be waisting time & $$.
I've worked in a grind shop and done a little painting b-4 in a factory, so I'm pretty good w/ laying uniform spray...but I don't have an air compressor & gun.
Should I just buy the compressor & gun, or will the automotive spray-paints work???

Thanx for all help ;) ;) ;) :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Man if you go with automotive spary paints it will look like a ghetto job. Plus it wouldn't layer right plus you will have to do with runs and even distribution of paint. Plus you still gotta add clearcoat. Go to a professional painter or get a compressor or use the spary cans and get laughed off the block!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by datboysha@Jul 25 2003, 04:47 AM
Man if you go with automotive spary paints it will look like a ghetto job. Plus it wouldn't layer right plus you will have to do with runs and even distribution of paint. Plus you still gotta add clearcoat. Go to a professional painter or get a compressor or use the spary cans and get laughed off the block!
:biggrin: a'ight, I'm just going to go w/ the compressor.

It's just that I've done smaller projects, and they seem to come out great....
........but I had my doubts about the spray on large surfaces (even distribution like you said)....
Thanx for your opinions :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
actually ive never tryed this but you could buy an electric auto paint sprayer, ive heard good things about the ones jcwhitney sells

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by revolution 20/20@Jul 25 2003, 01:16 AM~916286
OK, I apologize if this has been a post already, and it may sound stupid,.. but does any one know if you can do paint work w/ automotive spray-paints.
Or would I just be waisting time & $$.
I've worked in a grind shop and done a little painting b-4 in a factory, so I'm pretty good w/ laying uniform spray...but I don't have an air compressor & gun.
Should I just buy the compressor & gun, or will the automotive spray-paints work???

Thanx for all help  ;)  ;)  ;)  :biggrin:
i did it once about 10 years ago. was a big mistake!! :uh: i painted a 79 dodge colt with duplicolor spray cans :cheesy: ended up buying out 3 walmart stores within 100 miles, and it cost around 600 to do a crap paint job. :wow:
it was better than the blue and rust that was on the car, but it peeled in spots, and had runs in some spots, and you could see the stripes from the spray can flow.
it was a dumb idea to do a whole car. but the smaller things, and the inside of my trunk, i used spray cans with no problem and it looks great!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
The New Layitlow Sucks!
3,331 Posts
Originally posted by low_caprice@Mar 15 2010, 10:41 AM~16895674
i did it once about 10 years ago. was a big mistake!! :uh:  i painted a 79 dodge colt with duplicolor spray cans :cheesy: ended up buying out 3 walmart stores within 100 miles, and it cost around 600 to do a crap paint job. :wow:
it was better than the blue and rust that was on the car, but it peeled in spots, and had runs in some spots, and you could see the stripes from the spray can flow.
it was a dumb idea to do a whole car. but the smaller things, and the inside of my trunk, i used spray cans with no problem and it looks great!! :biggrin:  :biggrin:
look at the date dumbass :uh: that post is from 2003

1 - 7 of 7 Posts