LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

went to start my car the other day, and nothing, cant move the seats, mirrors, lights don't turn on.

I heard the relay going nuts, so I took it out. I guessed it was cashed and borrowed my horn relay, started right up.

brought it home and went to start it later that night, same thing happened. I know its not a relay problem cuz those are pretty much failsafe. My question is, do you think I can just buy a starter and it'll be fine, or is there something causing it to overamp?

·
Registered
344 Posts
What car we talking about???
Ford?
And what relay? Like fuse box relay or a gm starter sol or ford starter relay?

But nothing should be causing it to over amp except a bad relay, but if you already changed it with another then you shouldnt have that problem.

Usually a "crazy" relay is a bad batt but if it started fine then it could be a wiring problem like where the relay plugs into or connects could not be touching enough, and when you pulled it out and put the other in you made it touch enough to start.

But could be your starter if it is a ford relay. Cuz it would draw so many amps that it would kill the relay but the car should still be trying to crank even when the relay is flipping out.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
yea, i wanna see someone swap their starter solenoid for a horn relay :uh:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well im guessing we are talking about a newer car and he is switching his ign relay or something. But it could be if he used a ford starter relay for an aftermarket horn which is a very good idea.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't really looked too much into it, it has to be an ignition relay, I don't know if its a horn relay, when I was just tryin to get home someone cut me off and I tried to honk my horn but it didn't work. I just assumed it was my horn relay.

Its a 96 impala. NOTHING works, I tried the connection with the relay, that doesn't work, I glanced at my CHILTONS manual It might be as simple as a battery, but it just doesn't seem right. I just wanna make sure I do the right thing cuz like I said, I know relays are pretty fail proof, if they fail, its usually right outta the gate. I haven't really had any time to look at it, I was hopin someone had the experience and could tell me right off the bat so I didn't have to go digital multi meter every possibility for a faulty wire. I am not looking to get ripped on, I used to be a certified installer so I am not going to try and hook up a horn relay to a starter solenoid :twak: I know you're probably fuckin' around, I just got too much school, softball and work to look at it. Just tryin to get it started before I store it

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Aight sorry then man, i wouldnt be much help cuz i would be busting out the mm right now. But it should only take you about 30mins man, not that long.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Don't fight it......ALWAYS start off with the easiest and cheapest when troubleshooting a electrical problem no matter what make the vehicle is !!!!Go to the nearest auto zone or kragen with your battery and they will test it for free !!!Otherwise you can do it yourself with a $20 multimeter as well as check what your alternator,starter,coil, etc. is putting out to your charging system. If you have a electrical short somewhere, a basic test light for 99 cents will help out.....take the negative battery cable off of the post and connect one end of the test light to the negative battery cable clamp(while it is off) and then tape the pointed end of the test light to the negative battery post.
If the test light "lights up" then it means you have a short and you can find it by individually pulling out your fuses one by one until the light goes out and.........youve found it !!!!!!!

Another thing is while the vehicle is stored, take the negative cable off so that it will start the next time fo sho !!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK
MS

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I got the multimeter, and a probe. I'll clarify, I don't have time this week, if I gotta probe shit, I will. I just can't believe it could possibly be a battery, never seen a vehicle act like that before. Its a red top, but only like 3 or 4 years old. It was driving fine and then bam, nothing :dunno:

So next week, i'll check the short "MS", then have the battery tested, if thats all good, then would it be the starter, or am I more likely to find a short between the battery and starter?

I'll update you guys, thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts