LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a solenoid on my starter that has the two posts used for the old points setup they had, but I'm running an HEI setup in my car so don't need the second post. I have tried both smaller posts and have got nothing out of the starter. I do have the main wire from the battery and the two littler wires used to power up the ignition switch hooked up to the large post. Do I have to use a jumper wire from one little post to the other little post to complete the circuit, or should it work with just hooking the wire to one of the smaller posts that is supposed to trip the starter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
the selonoid has the big post for the motor and two small ones for the ign

they should be r and s the s is for the ign that shouls pop it to turn

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Ok, I confirmed that I do have the smaller wire hooked to the smaller terminal marked with an S and I have three wires hooked to the big post. One is the wire coming straight from the battery, then there is two different wires (red) that are crimped together with a large wire end which I believe are the power wires for the ignition swith are hooked to the larger post as well. But the car is still doing nothing. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told by my friend that maybe I would have to make a small jumper wire and go from the smaller R terminal to the smaller S terminal and leave the small wire on the S terminal. HE said he believes that both the smaller terminals have to be hooked up in order for it to work. Any suggestions towards this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I figured out that you don't have to hook up the jumper wire from one side to the other smaller posts, but now I have another problem

When you turn the ignition to the on position, everything is fine, but then when you turn the ignition to the start position, the starter engages and turns the motor over. Only problem is it keeps cranking and cranking and cranking even when you turn the switch off, so I have to run out and disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I figured I had a wire touching on the starter or something, so I disconnected all the wires on the starter and reconnected them facing in opposite directions. I even stuck my finger up in there and felt that they are definately not even close to touching each other. The wires I'm talking about is there is one small wire on the S post of the solenoid. THen there is the main big wire from the battery on the Big post of the solenoid, plus two red wires crimped together on the big post as well. I believe the two crimped together are the power wires for the ignition switch. Any ideas what to check or do so the starter will stop spinning when you let of the ignition switch? Thanks for the advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts