LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1981 Chevy Caprice with a 350 in it. Here is my problem. When you put a new starter on it from the parts store, and you initally turn your ignition swith to start, everything works fine. I mean it would spin that thing over all day. But, when you back off and then go to engage the starter a second time, it doesn't work. You can hear the starter engaging and it connects to the motor for like half a second and then starts to grind. This is the second starter this is doing on. I don't believe its solenoid, otherwise it wouldn't try to kick in like it does, I also don't think it's a shimming problem cause you would know that right off the bat if you had too much space or not enough. Any ideas? I'm stumped

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not that simple cause if I go somewhere or even after I get it started the first time, then I'm done. And what I mean by the first time is when I take the starter out of the box and install it on the car. I can't keep switching starters out every time. :biggrin:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'm still having this starting problem. I went to the parts store and bought some starter shims. It came in a pack of three. One was a .20, one was a .40, and one was a .60 I tried each one by itself and nothing worked.

Here's the wierd part though. Every time I dropped the starter down and added a shim, when I put the starter back up, it would work for the initial time, but then when you let off the starter and try to engage it a second time, won't work.

The thing I don't understand is why will it work the first time but then it won't, but if you unbolt the starter and bolt it back up, it works. What is causing that?

I did look at the flywheel, none of the teeth seem to be damaged at all, and the starter bendex doesn't look bad either. Plus if they were, how could it work the first time?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery is brand new, when it does crank, when I put the starter back up, it cranks over like you wouldn't believe, so I know the battery has plenty of juice. So I know that's not the problem. Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
This may sound really dumb, but is the car now or has the car ever had a diesel engine in it? i only ask because diesel engines make you turn the key all the way off before it will let you try to turn it over again, it has to do with the glow plugs.

like i said-- really dumb but it is the only thing i can think of!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Ok hommie ....I was having the same problem a week ago.answer me this.Do your starter have the bolts diaganally (how ever its spelled)or straight across?my old starter used to do the same thing when i take it out the box put it on.It would spin the motor with no problem,but after a few tries it would grind like the starter wasnt clearring the flexplat(flywheel).So a buddy of mines had this friend that builds racing engines.They gave me a 350 starter with the mounting bolts straight across from eachother and now i dont have that problem anymore.Or it could be your starter moves after you disengage it? good luck

oh yea i payed 95 bucks for it

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
take the starter off and hook it up to a power source. look inside the hole at the end. Is it comming out when it comes on and then goes back in? (the thing that hits the flywheel) I forgot what it's called.
Anyway that could be it. if it's not pushing out then it won't hit the flywheel and it won't turn, the starter will just spin. It might do it the first time and then just loose it.
sorry if I'm being so vague, let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys. As far as the car being diesel, it never has been. The starter has the bolts that are diagonal from each other, not straight across.

I'm going to take it out and power it up and watch it and see what it does. That's all the ideas I have left is it has to be something to do with the starter.

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
yea, it has to be either the starter or the power source if the flywheel is turning.

let us know, I'm curious as to what it is..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts