LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my new little "time-taker-upper" is this...

- I have found that a certain wire on the inside of my steering column has become either split or pinched. I found this out when i shifted my car ('91 caprice classic) in park today at the bank...and my windshield wipers came on....interesting.

- I took the car home, and tried to see if i could find the problem...but its a steering column...yeah, solid plastic tube of goodness.

- Not seeing a problem, i decided to use my "Tilt" lever and see if it would fix itself when i moved it up and down(by the way, the car is on and music is playing). "SNAP CRAKLE CRAKLE POP". I know sparks when i hear them.

ANY-WHO, anybody know how to dissasemble a steering column to fix a wiring problem?? After i pull the wheel and anything else in the way, will the plastic sleeve sllide off os something?

My book is less than helpful in this matter, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Man that must suck . But it is kinda easy to fix the poblem. U have to take the whole steering column off. When u have it out and all wires disconnected remove the bolts that hold it in plac and the sleeves should slide all the way down unless have little bolts in the sides. ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
it may be diferant on a 91 but on older models
take of steering wheel
remove lock plate(special tool required, you can get it anywhere)
then things like the turn signal switch and wiper switch will come out with all the wiring

im sure i missed a few steps but thats the general idea

·
Registered
414 Posts
you dont have to take it out,if anything thats gonna make it more of a pain in the ass.once you get the wheel off that plastic donut is next.its held in by a wire ring that fits in a machined groove.the donut is spring loaded with a ton of pressure so as he said your goin to have to get a special tool that pushes it down so you can pry that wire ring out,after that everything else comes out pretty easily just remember how everything came out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts