LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help a homie out. I got a 283 in my 59 impala. It had a bad radiator, so I put a radiator from a 69 firebird, a 160 superstat thermostat, a new waterpump, and the damn thing still over heats. Whats a normal temperture for it to be running? I haven't put my shroud back on because the new radiator is little bigger but I can modify it, but that shouldn't have it over heating right? I took it around the block and came back it was reading at 205. Someone help me out because I'm running out of suggestions. :angry:

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by jpittman21@Sep 19 2005, 09:42 AM~3841824
help a homie out.  I got a 283 in my 59 impala.  It had a bad radiator, so I put a radiator from a 69 firebird, a 160 superstat thermostat, a new waterpump, and the damn thing still over heats.  Whats a normal temperture for it to be running?  I haven't put my shroud back on because the new radiator is little bigger but I can modify it, but that shouldn't have it over heating right? I took it around the block and came back it was reading at 205.  Someone help me out because I'm running out of suggestions. :angry:
timing could be too retarded, radiator cap could be not holding pressure, etc. That fan shroud REALLY does do something though. Maybe you should try putting an electric fan on and see if you still have a problem. If not, then problem solved. If so, then you know you have some other mechanical problem going on. (above problems or belt slipping, engine bore too large, etc..)

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
any of your water hoses getting pinched ... maybe time to run a flush kit thru that old radiator ... could be built up mineral deposits from hard water ..and old antifreeze gumming up the works ...

together wise you said you checked the cap and checked the pressure of that right ... have you tested the radiator pressure while your at it ?

maybe you are running the fuel to air mixture on the lean side

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the shroud back on and it seems to be cooler now, but I'm thinking of putting an electric fan on too. What ya'll think? Anyone know where I can get a one?

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can get one from an auto store or if there is a junk yard around, the 84-89 Chevy IROC's came with a nice two fan setup that would work great with your radiator. One fan was for when the ac gets turned on but I am sure that one can be setup to run manually while the other is left for being turned on when the rad hits a certain temp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
HELL YEAH ITS THE SHROUD. AT FIRST U WOULDNT THINK THAT IT WOULD HAVE THAT MUCH AFFECT BUT THE SHROUD CIRCULATES THE AIR AROUND THE ENGINE. KEEP IT COOL. TRUST ME DOG

·
Registered
240 Posts
is your fan a clutch one if so it could be going bad and not turning fast enough either... But yeah the shroud makes a big difference...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts