1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vehicle: 2001 Cadillac DeVille
Headunit: stock
Amp: kenwood kac-7201
Sub: audiobahn 15 inch (dont know model number)

this was my prior setup:
interior speakers, completely stock, 8 speaker system (1 each door, tweeters in pillars 1 in middle of front dash and a 10 in the rear deck)
alligator clips on the exposed terminals on the 10 in the back feeding signal to the speaker level inputs on the kac-7201 it hit pretty good, of course not as loud as in my roadmaster, but i had downgraded in wiring.

well the 10 blew and had this nasty sound comin out of it, so i pulled it. tried wiring the speaker level wires to the wires that went to the sub but couldnt get a constant signal.
either way long story short, gave up on wiring it from the old 10 spot,and instead tapped into the rear driver door speaker, and ran that to both speaker level input channels on the amp, gets bass but not loud at all. do i need to get a signal from the other side too?

(btw in case anyone wondered, i got a jl 10 in place of the stock 10 now and im gonna use a smaller amp to push that

·
Registered
42 Posts
getting a signal from the other side is not really gonna help out with how loud it is basically wut that would do is even it out otherwise the sub will only hit when it get a left side signal. it would sound better but what i suggest is get an aftermarket head unit even a cheaper one will sound better stock radios just dont put out enough power to make an amp push a sub very hard

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2001 cadiilac,

getting an aftermarket head unit takes a whoooole lot of work to install and get working right

·
Registered
42 Posts
actually it's really not that hard you just splice a few wires and put in a dash kit and your set to go or if you want to do it the really easy way just buy a wire harness kit to patch in between the stock wires and the new head unit from crutchfield you can find one for like 10 to 20 bucks plus you can just snap in the original stereo if you ever decide to sell the car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts