LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it sensible to have hard lines in a street ride or hopper?

seems like there would not be alot of flex but the cyclinders move on 3 wheel & when that back is raised(purpose of the powerballs)...but at the same time I have noticed that almost every ride that I have seen out of Hi-LOW had hardlines...do they use it on there hoppers?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think that hardlines are practical on anything, street or otherwise, of course, the more pressure you run the thicker wall tubing you should use... I am gonna run 0.60 Stainless hardlines on my Beetle.

I am going to run bulkhead fittings near the cylinders that will be mounted to tabs welded to the frame to keep the hardlines still, and then run a few feet of hose to the cylinder to alow free movement of the cylinders. The more movement your cylinders require, the more hose you'll need to run.

To me, hardines are way better than hoses, as they perform the same function, yet look 10x better....

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
My friend had hardlines on his cutlass. It had suspended dumps that were about 3 feet away from the pump. .049 3/8 hardline was used with several 90degree turns in the pressure and return lines. The cutt single pumped 40" at 72v before the front control arms fucked up and the frame went to shit(the dumbass that did the suspension told him he didn't need any major reinforcement), needless to say that guy fucked my boys whole frame up and suspension.

But yeah, .049 3\8 will definitely hold up to 72v with several 90degree turns, I know that for a fact :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i have 3/8th hard lines imhard lined to a beauty panel and my cars a street car i hop it the little bit it does hop 3 wheel it and there fine just when you first get it theres alot of like bugs you have to work out

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
hey LOW, you have done a bunch of hardlined setups as well right?

I was gonna go with 0.60, but if you say 0.49 is cool, then I'll take your word for it...

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by vwlownslo@Oct 10 2003, 08:02 PM
hey LOW, you have done a bunch of hardlined setups as well right?

I was gonna go with 0.60, but if you say 0.49 is cool, then I'll take your word for it...
.049 is A-ok. It is still tought to bend, but it will work. I have used .049 on all setups over 24v with no problems. I used .025 3/8 on my MR2, but only ran 24v to each pump.

Just make you sure you flare the fittings perfectly and you won't have any problems :thumbsup: I did all of my own lines and then went to the Parker store where them guys let me use their air-drive machine to flare them. I NEVER had a hardline fitting leak on me

I personally like them pressure fittings, nice as hell

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
you mean the Dual Ferrule fittings right...

And my local parker store will suply me the tubing, but woun't flare it for me....

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by vwlownslo@Oct 10 2003, 08:11 PM
you mean the Dual Ferrule fittings right...

And my local parker store will suply me the tubing, but woun't flare it for me....
i think that is what they are called, I used them on my own hardline set-up back in 1999. They are a little more expensive, but worth it I think.

That sucks parker will not flare it for you. I have a manual flarer, but it sucks ass trying to flare .049 manually :angry:

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by PRESIDENTEZ.MC'S@Oct 10 2003, 08:54 PM
Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of hardline if you run hose for the cylinder connection? or how would you still make it look clean when everything is visible?
Do you mean hose connnection in the trunk? Cause you can use a union(think that is it) through the trunk floor. The hardline adapts to the inside of the trunk union, and the underside of the union you adapt the hose to it. This way you have NO hoses in the trunk looking like shit :cool:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you run a setup where the cylinders travel at all, having to use a short length of hose to allow travel is the nature of the beast... Otherwise you will break stuff.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Originally posted by vwlownslo@Oct 10 2003, 09:01 PM
If you run a setup where the cylinders travel at all, having to use a short length of hose to allow travel is the nature of the beast... Otherwise you will break stuff.
ohh ok, i misunderstood the ???,,,yeah what VW said. You can hide the little bit of hose and still run hardline to the cylinders. Just make sure you have enough slack in the hose for suspension travel

Last edited by [email protected] at Oct 10 2003, 09:07 PM

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by [email protected]+Oct 10 2003, 06:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ([email protected] @ Oct 10 2003, 06:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--PRESIDENTEZ.MC'S@Oct 10 2003, 08:54 PM
Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of hardline if you run hose for the cylinder connection? or how would you still make it look clean when everything is visible?
Do you mean hose connnection in the trunk? Cause you can use a union(think that is it) through the trunk floor. The hardline adapts to the inside of the trunk union, and the underside of the union you adapt the hose to it. This way you have NO hoses in the trunk looking like shit :cool:[/b][/quote]
I was basically thinking about for my daily for the back of the trunk but I was also considering picking up an elco since I had the extra luxory sport pieces & the elco is wreck on the doors & fenders but that would be replaced with the ls parts anyway & in the back of the elco there would not really be anything hidding the hose connections...seems like in that case I might as well run hoses

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I got a qoute at my Parker store: $100.00CDN for 20 feet of 0.60 Stainless... I think I could score 0.49 for about $80.00CDN at 20 feet. Just give a call to a Parker store or Hydraulic supply house near you and see what they'll qoute you... Then you gotta get fittings as well. I priced out Dual ferrule fittings at around $3.50CDN each. While your there, might as well get Parker check valves and slowdowns. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Damn, thats a great price... Maybe its cause you bought a hundred feet! I will see what it'll cost me for a hundred feet of 0.49 stainless then.... :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts