1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i do it correctly i bought the kit from harbor freight

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Feb 15 2010, 10:15 PM~16623197
Its simple,the area has to be down to the metal of course.The gun will weld the stud to the desired spot, you would use a slide hammer to pull the dent.Same as the old school way minus the holes.Once you pull it you would grind off the studs, use your body hammers and dollys to shape the metal,apply filler etc...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by EazyE10286@Feb 15 2010, 09:29 PM~16624243
Its simple,the area has to be down to the metal of course.The gun will weld the stud to the desired spot, you would use a slide hammer to pull the dent.Same as the old school way minus the holes.Once you pull it you would grind off the studs, use your body hammers and dollys to shape the metal,apply filler etc...
ya ya thats what i was gona say :biggrin:

·
finger'in a ****
1,521 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Feb 16 2010, 05:15 AM~16623197
Did you buy the kit that you attach to a regular stick welder?
i thought about getting that one, let us know if it works proper :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i bought this one the whole kit it came for 99 i have a harbor freight tracker membership it is way worth it got 20 off with it nd bought the 2 yr warranty so i can get s many of these as i need in 2 yrs and at the end ill get another right b4 warrranty is up yeaaa boooy thanks for the hlp fellas what type of dents should i use it on last resort dents or what??

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by EazyE10286+Feb 15 2010, 10:29 PM~16624243-->
[/b]
thank you im about to test this thing tomorrow :cool:
<!--QuoteBegin-CustomMachines
@Feb 16 2010, 04:03 PM~16631113
the ones you really can't reach from the back would be solving my problems...all the rest, hammer n dolly's  :cool:
good point wouldn't wanna make more work then necessary.

i have another quick question about using the flat punchs for knocking down the high spots for paintless dent repair when your all done how do you get the damaged area back to normal just buff?

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
Originally posted by 7dippd-n-butr8@Feb 16 2010, 01:55 AM~16624686
ya ya thats what i was gona say :biggrin:
Im glad he typed all that sheit :biggrin:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Feb 16 2010, 07:20 PM~16633253
thank you im about to test this thing tomorrow  :cool:

good point wouldn't wanna make more work then necessary.

i have another quick question about using the flat punchs for knocking down the high spots for paintless dent repair when your all done how do you get the damaged area back to normal just buff?
for the studs, when you go to take them off, dont cut the rod off like a lot of people tend to do, get some good vise grips, clamp the little ball and twist....usually will come off....only cut the rod off as last resort to save you from grinding down the left over part of the studs. also dont know if that one has a automatic stop on it, but if it dont you have to time the heat just right so the stud doesnt melt too much and make your job more difficult. ;)

as for after knockin down dents and buffing....ive seen the paintless dent guy do it at our shop before....if you get the dents down nice and clean enough and know the car has a good amount of clear you can block color sand it lightly n then buff it ;)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by A-FORD-ABLE@Feb 17 2010, 11:33 PM~16648277
for the studs, when you go to take them off, dont cut the rod off like a lot of people tend to do, get some good vise grips, clamp the little ball and twist....usually will come off....only cut the rod off as last resort to save you from grinding down the left over part of the studs. also dont know if that one has a automatic stop on it, but if it dont you have to time the heat just right so the stud doesnt melt too much and make your job more difficult.  ;)

as for after knockin down dents and buffing....ive seen the paintless dent guy do it at our shop before....if you get the dents down nice and clean enough and know the car has a good amount of clear you can block color sand it lightly n then buff it  ;)
thanks man good info right there !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :h5:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
I got that same one, it doesnt work as good as a higher end one, i dont know if its the studs or the gun itself,it is poretty cumbersome, but I end up doing most of them twice because they dont stick good. Never had that prob on other ones. test it on some old sheetmetal if you can,and realize its really easy to go through thinner metal. burning through isnt the worst thing, but its still counter productive

Just start with the lowest points first. and use some end cutters to get the studs off.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by AndrewH@Feb 18 2010, 04:50 PM~16653961
I got that same one, it doesnt work as good as a higher end one, i dont know if its the studs or the gun itself,it is poretty cumbersome, but I end up doing most of them twice because they dont stick good. Never had that prob on other ones. test it on some old sheetmetal if you can,and realize its really easy to go through thinner metal. burning through isnt the worst thing, but its still counter productive

Just start with the lowest points first. and use some end cutters to get the studs off.
thanks yea ima practice on my hood i got il post pics etc waitn for my IR comp to get shipped so ima be practicin till it comes

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i have the same one and it works good for me... it welds the studs on there good
i dont have the problem andrewh does

one thing I had to do though is weld a small pair of vise grips to the slide hammer to hold the studs the way it is form the factory sucks

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Feb 18 2010, 10:33 PM~16657768
i have the same one and it works good for me... it welds the studs on there good
i dont have the problem andrewh does

one thing I had to do though is weld a small pair of vise grips to the slide hammer to hold the studs    the way it is form the factory sucks
pics?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts