LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 drop i plan to lift and don't have much experience with the potential failure points on these frame when it comes to use and abuse from hydraulics.. I don't plan on hoppin all four corners at the same time. what i have is HT frame im going to install my drop since the drop frame is rusted away.. so right off i need to stiffen the frame to accomidate the frame rail size difference and while im at it i might as well wrap the rest of the points that need to be wrapped to avoid buckling my quarters.. does anyone have any pics of a 65,66 frame wrap in progress?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i build 65 66 impalas you need to strap the frame over the arches to keep the quarters from buckling,that body has no good strenght points neither does the frame,it all changed in 65, the frame should be strapped with angle iron under the doors,only if the frame is on the car,,,a full frame box is always better but requires a frame off..if running more than 6 batterys you must also fiberglass the panels from the inside, be careful not to get them too hot ,keep them cool with wet towels good luck

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Originally posted by chronedup@Sep 6 2005, 06:06 PM~3764691
i build 65 66 impalas you need to strap the frame over the arches to keep the quarters from buckling,that body has no good strenght points neither does the frame,it all changed in 65, the frame should be strapped with angle iron under the doors,only if the frame is on the car,,,a full frame box is always better but requires a frame off..if running more than 6 batterys you must also fiberglass the panels from the inside, be careful not to get them too hot ,keep them cool with wet towels good luck
oh god please dont weld on angle iron to the bottom of the frame :uh:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Actually that is exactly what he needs to do. From the front part of the frame before it goes into the Wheel wells, to the back back where is reachs the rear wheel wells, Plate that with Angle iron. Then make sure that you get the humps and the C channel in the back. If you are gonna bridge it you will also need some U channel for that. Make sure that you also C channel and reinforce where your Lower control arms lift so that you will have extra room to lift the car higher, or it will hit on the lower section of the frame. Lastly, but very important, you need to trim and re-inforce around the shock humps in the front and back. Both need to be done, I cracked my hump slightly in the back sitting it on three at a show. And the front catches on the coil, so you have to trim that out.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
DON NOT USE ANGLE IRON,Just cut out a actually plate and weld it on,I wish i had pictures of my old X-frame with some ghetto angle iron,It will do absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Originally posted by japSW20@Sep 7 2005, 02:16 PM~3770164
DON NOT USE ANGLE IRON,Just cut out a actually plate and weld it on,I wish i had pictures of my old X-frame with some ghetto angle iron,It will do absolutely nothing.
i agree!!! angle is ghetto...just cut the right templates to box it in!!!

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by caranto@Sep 7 2005, 04:18 PM~3770189
i agree!!!  angle is ghetto...just cut the right templates to box it in!!!

SHIT........................................ Back to the drawing board. :angry:

:biggrin:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Say what you want. On the 65 and 66 Frame there is a deep pockt on your body for the extra room, but the underside is what you want to make sure you get. I seen one done, and you can actually lift the whole car with a jack on either side and the both tires on the front end will come off the ground. Now that is re-inforced

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't we all just get along? haha.. thanks for the info fellas.. but now i don't know if i should be more confused then when i started.. angle iron has the potential of being stronger depending on if the welder knows what he is doing.. it sounds to me its a issue of looks whether to use angle of not. Mostly i was wanting to know what areas to wrap.. im not biulding a super hopper but more i don't want buckle quarters when im shelling out the doe for new quarters and paint..

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
69 impala with angle on the outside edge for the side and bottom of the frame it was plug welded and then wraped regular on the other sides gives a nice smooth edge to it when its under the car it was 4-1/2 by 4-1/2 by 5/16 thick

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts