LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just thinking, could you super charge a engine with compressed air?

i dont have any plans on trying it, but i was thinking, most superchargers run around 6-10 psi. people pay through the ass for all these supercharger kits. couldnt you use a compressor and a tank witha regulator? maybe this is a dumb idea, but just thought about it and thought, why not?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
This is in effect what a supercharger does, so it would work, but you would run out of air very quickly.

Just have a look at the CFM rating for a carburettor and you will get an idea of how much air they will flow.

Mike

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by yodawagon@Aug 22 2005, 09:18 PM~3673116
i was just thinking, could you super charge a engine with compressed air?

i dont have any plans on trying it, but i was thinking, most superchargers run around 6-10 psi. people pay through the ass for all these supercharger kits. couldnt you use a compressor and a tank witha regulator? maybe this is a dumb idea, but just thought about it and thought, why not?
the guy thats making the dump air re usering thing has the math to do it and such

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by yodawagon@Aug 22 2005, 09:30 PM~3673252
true. but maybe you could use it like nos
This wouldn't have any noticeable effect. Nitrous oxide has unique properties that significantly increases the amount of oxygen available for combustion. Injecting air in similar amounts would have no effect. If you increased the amount injected to the point where it was capable of making a difference you would need an enormous supply of compressed air. This is where the supercharger steps in. It does that very job in an efficient way.

Mike

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Not really mike, Ford Motor Company SVT program has a turbo cooler in the works for the SVT lightning. It stores AC air cooled to about 30 degrees, and injects it into the intake for a total of 10 seconds. it has very similar resilts to nitrous oxcide, accept you can recharge it in 1:30 and do it all again.

the idea is condensed air, but chilled (Intercooler) to create more more air when it is rapidly warmed (Combustion) creating an increase that not even Ford has tested for a full 10 seconds. it pushed the lighning well over 500hp.. Look into it..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yes, I've read about this. This isn't really what Yodawagon was suggesting. The Lightning engine is already supercharged and Ford's experimental set-up is a supplement to a ready-supercharged engine.

You are NEVER going to release anywhere near the same amount of oxygen from cool air as you are from nitrous oxide; the laws of physics don't allow for things like that.

Mike

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
understandable mike,

But Nitrous was for dentist, until someone said hey, what the fuck, so keep an open mind.

Intread of a 150hp sahot of nitrous, if you can get 30-50 with forced cold air, notbad for tryin. I say it has to do something. People don't spend all that $ on intercoolers and ice for nothing.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yes, I take your point.

Mike

:)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i also just saw a kit that uses washer fluid (which is 1/2 water 1/2 methanol) injection on supercharged cars. no joke , summit racing sells them.

how does this sound, a supercharged ls1 vette motor with methanol injection. 600 hp

in a 53 chevy. 2 door on air ride.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
again, it's used on forced induction engines, not naturally aspirated engines.

This goes with my point above, Who would think to actually try it, it sounds great by theory, but this guy tried it.

When it comes to anything, keep an open mind, you might just amaze yourself.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I presume that the washer fluid idea is to prevent pre-ignition of the fuel, as with the more conventional water injection set-ups.

The methanol thing also makes sense because methanol burns a lot cooler than petrol.

Mike

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I looked it up in summit, ..Here it is, makes complete sence. Just no reported HP gains stated.

In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, Stage-1 Boost Coolers suppress detonation, so more power-producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization, cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion, but also acts like an extremely high-octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) and adds more oxygen to combustion. These systems contain everything needed to start making big HP! They're designed for use in gasoline (6-15 psig boost) supercharged/turbocharged vehicles.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just what I thought!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you only would have though $$$$$$oooner.. :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts