LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i misplaced my uppers n lowers and rear upper n lower bolts. is it good enough to buy stainless steel bolts grade 8 at our local nutn bolt store? is it safe enough? thanks. if not i was gonna buy regular grade 8 or 10 bolts(i have) and get them chrome.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal Lector@Mar 7 2010, 08:50 PM~16822979
i misplaced my uppers n lowers and rear upper n lower bolts. is it good enough to buy stainless steel bolts grade 8 at our local nutn bolt store? is it safe enough? thanks. if not i was gonna buy regular grade 8 or 10 bolts(i have) and get them chrome.
stay away from the hardware store stainless bolts for any chassis application, grade 8 will do you fine, i personally like fine thread with the stover style nuts for chassis stuff.

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Originally posted by DIRTYWHITEBOY@Mar 7 2010, 11:14 PM~16823934
stay away from the hardware store stainless bolts for any chassis application, grade 8 will do you fine, i personally like fine thread with the stover style nuts for chassis stuff.
Thats my choice also. I only use them on final assemby though. They work best when only tightened once. I don't like to reuse them so I use regular nuts during mock up.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Mar 7 2010, 09:18 PM~16823978
Thats my choice also. I only use them on final assemby though. They work best when only tightened once. I don't like to reuse them so I use regular nuts during mock up.
what is that, stover? is that with the plastic looking thing in side the nut? its for my elco.
im goin to a hardware store but not lowesor home depot, its called hawaii nut and bolt. they have all types of bolts etc. they have more selection than home depot etc. thanks. i will be doin some hopping but not much, its a show car but i do have adjustables and drop mounts etc. thanks.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sup mufasa!

·
over it
6,640 Posts
It's an all metal lock nut. Some places call them top lock nuts. They have one side mushroomed in 3 places to prevent the nut from backing off. The down side is you can only get them started a few turns by hand then you'll have to use a wrench the rest of the way.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Mar 7 2010, 10:43 PM~16824299
It's an all metal lock nut. Some places call them top lock nuts. They have one side mushroomed in 3 places to prevent the nut from backing off. The down side is you can only get them started a few turns by hand then you'll have to use a wrench the rest of the way.
IVE ALSO SEEN THEM CALLED "PREVAILING TORQUE" NUTS, AS SEEN ON SOME OF THE BOXES. BUT YES I AGREE, USE REGULAR HEX NUTS FOR THE MOCK UP STAGE, AND THE STOVERS FOR THE FINAL ASSEMBLY.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Mar 7 2010, 09:43 PM~16824299
so what is it safe enough to buy these grade 8 stainless steel nut and bolt.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TTT

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
:biggrin:

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal Lector@Mar 8 2010, 03:32 AM~16825718
so what is it safe enough to buy these grade 8 stainless steel nut and bolt.
As long as they a certified as grade 8 you should be fine. Just don't forget the anti-sieze stainless likes to fuse itself together when torqued.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts