LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres one thing I cant seem to get a straight answer on,

If I swap out ONLY the spindles on a g-body to caprice spindles, using the same coil and same g-body a-arms, will the car sit higher than it did with the g-body spindles when dumped out? Is the camber change more or less drastic through out the travel?

And will it bulldog the wheels out more? if so, is this just because of the upper a-arm sitting higher at the ball joint?

Also, what other options are there for spindles and a-arms? 70's full sizes,trucks,etc?

I just wanna know before I go to the junk yard and pull a bunch of parts I end up not wanting.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Jan 11 2009, 10:04 PM~12674596
Theres one thing I cant seem to get a straight answer on,

If I swap out ONLY the spindles on a g-body to caprice spindles, using the same coil and same g-body a-arms, will the car sit higher than it did with the g-body spindles when dumped out? Is the camber change more or less drastic through out the travel?
And will it bulldog the wheels out more? if so, is this just because of the upper a-arm sitting higher at the ball joint?

Also, what other options are there for spindles and a-arms? 70's full sizes,trucks,etc?

I just wanna know before I go to the junk yard and pull a bunch of parts I end up not wanting.
It doesn't change how low it will go. But yes it does make the bulldog more, nothing crazy but more than a stock spindle. It is because the a-arm is straighter because the spindle is taller.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Yes it will sit higher and the wheels will bulldog more because of the spindles i did it on my cutlass. You have to use the caprice caliper and the brake lines from the caliper too

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by OVERTIME@Jan 11 2009, 10:08 PM~12674689
Yes it will sit higher

how much higher? thats what I was afraid of, I dont want my front sitting any higher (nor do I want to cut anymore coil) as I dont have a problem with bottoming out and this will be a street hopper, not a clown car...

so i gotta figure somthing out... I'm basically wanting better looking uppers to work with, and stronger spindles, since reinforcing them would be a pain to make them look clean...

what spindles wont lift the car any? I swear I've heard people talk about different models of caddys/caprices,etc doing slightly different things and different recommendations for 13" or 14" wheels..

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Jan 11 2009, 10:17 PM~12674854
how much higher?  thats what I was afraid of, I dont want my front sitting any higher (nor do I want to cut anymore coil) as I dont have a problem with bottoming out and this will be a street hopper, not a clown car...

so i gotta figure somthing out...  I'm basically wanting better looking uppers to work with, and stronger spindles, since reinforcing them would be a pain to make them look clean...

what spindles wont lift the car any? I swear I've heard people talk about different models of caddys/caprices,etc doing slightly different things and different recommendations for 13" or 14" wheels..
It won't make it sit any higher, the Malibu will still crossmember when you hop it.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by yetti@Jan 11 2009, 10:20 PM~12674926
It won't make it sit any higher, the Malibu will still crossmember when you hop it.
I might just do it, with caprice uppers. when i say street hopper, I didnt mean mad inches, just a clean ride that can get up some. looks stil coem first :cool:

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Jan 11 2009, 10:25 PM~12675027
I might just do it, with caprice uppers. when i say street hopper, I didnt mean mad inches, just a clean ride that can get up some. looks stil coem first  :cool:
They make it easier to hop because of the extra room you gain. If you want less lean extend the uppers less, you still will have more room. The Malibu does 47 on the bumper. Single pump 11 batteries. a pro hopper piston and a V8. :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) I'm aiming for a few inches less than that.

What about glasshouse spindles and arms on a g-body??? I've heard this once or twice in my life

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Why dont u just use the caprice spinle and a g-body a arm thats extended shim it back if you dont like it. Its not that complicated use what you know works instead of pulling parts that may not work and wasting time use an 11 inch rotor also if its a caprice

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Jan 11 2009, 09:53 PM~12675472
:)  I'm aiming for a few inches less than that.

What about glasshouse spindles and arms on a g-body??? I've heard this once or twice in my life

Ron had posted that before. From what I remember, they're stronger and don't need to be gusseted across the middle.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
you dont really need to do a spindle swap if your just gonna do street,,just do caprice uppers !!!
with the spindles you will gain even a higher lock up,,
areyou gonna run full stacks 4-1/2s ?
id cut them or run 3-1/2s full stacks
what motor is under the hood?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Jan 12 2009, 12:53 AM~12675472
:)  I'm aiming for a few inches less than that.

i got it from some good peeps that you have to run the caprice arms with the caprice spindles for the best geometry,toe in and out is way more noticable with the g-body arms as compared to the caprice also if you dont want the extra lift ,chain the front end off.....but it will help you hop!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
like the homie said up there^^^....caprice spindles from a "box" chevy as they come with the smaller bolt pattern and a smaller(11") rotor that allows clearance for 13"wheels...

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
Originally posted by NY-BOSSMAN@Jan 12 2009, 07:48 AM~12677682
like the homie said up there^^^....caprice spindles from a "box" chevy as they come with the smaller bolt pattern and a smaller(11") rotor that allows clearance for 13"wheels...
:cool:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have some experience with this caprice spindle shit! It does seem like it helps on getting more coil and movement but once the springs break down its a constant game on keepin your coils in the front pockets. Ive seen on several cars where the top of the coil wants to pop out and get hung under the frame because the suspension travels more than the height of the coil. There are a few creative ways to minimize the chance of this but make sure you keep it in mind ;)

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by NY-BOSSMAN@Jan 12 2009, 05:45 AM~12677678
...you have to run the caprice arms with the caprice spindles for the best geometry,toe in and out is way more noticable with the g-body arms as compared to the caprice...
yeahs thats why I dont want to run just one or the other. its a street driven ride.

but that doesnt mean I dont want inches :biggrin:

still curious what specs a glasshouses spindles compare to, as I've got a pair sittin in the garage...

Ron E, where are you???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts