LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hydros were working cool, and all of a sudden, all I could hear is my solenoids clicking. The back goes up fine, but the front barely moves. It is to the point of where I have to hit the switch 30 times to get the front to move 1/2"

WTF is going on??

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
low voltage to the front, or a bad pumphead, or try to see if something is jammed ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, would the pump head just go out like that?? I tested the voltage across that bay, and it is at 36 volts, so that is where I am supposed to be.

All I hear is clicking though, I don't even hear the motor spinning :( :angry:

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Could be a bad ground. And yes, a pumphead can just go out like that. :angry: It happend to me a few times. Out clownin, and next time I hit a switch, NOTHIN! :angry: :angry: :angry: :( But, check all cables, grounds, and motor. Does your motor stink at all?

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
If the motor is not spinning and you hear the noids clicking, then it could be your noids are fucked.

Also check the end of the power wires to make sure they are not burnt up inside the cable terminal ends, you could still get the clicking and register 36v even if the ends are burnt up. If you wires are crimped properly, this should not be the problem

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
Originally posted by DownLow350@Sep 17 2003, 03:17 PM
Actually, come to think of it, I had the exact prob. once. My spline key cracked, and bound up. :0 :0 check that too. ;)
yep, but check your noids, there seems to be one bad, or maybe them all in that bunch, and check your wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dumb question, how do I check the solenoids????

And also, I have heard a lot of people talking about spline key's.....what exactly is that??

Last edited by bumpn_gt at Sep 17 2003, 03:53 PM

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I check the noid and find out that it is bad, do I just take it into like "Fleet Farm" and get a new one?? Or is this something I would get from Autozone or Napa??

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Spline key is the "key" thats connects your motor to your pump. Like a round cylinder piece of steel with teeth on the insde.
I ALWAYS get my noids from fleetfarm! ;) there only like 4 bucks. ;)

Last edited by DownLow350 at Sep 17 2003, 06:18 PM

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
also check the brushes on the motor.......1 of them might be bad ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by DownLow350@Sep 17 2003, 05:18 PM
I ALWAYS get my noids from fleetfarm! ;) there only like 4 bucks. ;)
They were actually $5.99 a piece :(

I replaced one of them (the one I thought was bad) and it still does nothing, how do I know if one of them is bad???? How do I check?

·
Registered
14,730 Posts
I just brunt a motor up and took some pics. Hope it helps:

The first pic is of the Prestolite 7070 motor all together:

This is with the endcap and bushing/washer removed exposing the armature/brushes/etc....

With the motor removed....u can now clearly see the 4 brushes. In my case 2 are burnt up from wearing out. they eventually became to short to reach the armature (attached to the motor assembly) and thus arc-welded. The brushes are spring loaded to keep them on the armature with 2 being positve and 2 being negative.

Peeping the other side. This shows the pads that wrap around the motor:

Next we have the motor: From this side u can see the motor inside and the tang key on the end. In this case it is a 16/tang key and each motor varies:

Tang/Spline Key:

This is the motor & spline key removed:

This is the other end of the motor that passes thru the brushes. The end in contact with the brushes is called the armature. In this case it needs to be resurfaced if I was to rebuild the motor. Depending on the motor it might be cheaper to buy a new one. I plan on rebuilding my other motor since it is showing the same signs of wear.

I'm sure others can pipe in if I called somethign wrong or have a better description.. ;)

Last edited by djtwigsta at Sep 18 2003, 11:16 AM

·
Registered
161 Posts
hey man my set up did that a couple days ago an all it ended up being was a loose ground on one of my noids i tightened it up an wala fixed

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All grounds are tight. I replaced one of the solenoids (the one I thought was bad) but it still does the same thing..........can someone else give me their input??

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it takes you like 30 hits to get it up, your batts are dead or one or all of the batts are shot. Then you said something like the noids click but nutin happens. If thats the case then yes you have a broken noid, heres what you do..... hit the front switch real fast like 40 times then put your hand on the noids and see which one is hot or the hottest, bam theres your broken noid.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by LayinFrame01@Sep 19 2003, 04:14 PM
If it takes you like 30 hits to get it up, your batts are dead or one or all of the batts are shot. Then you said something like the noids click but nutin happens. If thats the case then yes you have a broken noid, heres what you do..... hit the front switch real fast like 40 times then put your hand on the noids and see which one is hot or the hottest, bam theres your broken noid.
All the batteries are brand new, and I have them hooked up in 1 bay going to each pump so that I don't have to charge the front batteries once a week and the rear like once a month....

I did the 40 clicks thing, and all the solenoids stay ice cold.........any other help??

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Originally posted by bumpn_gt+Sep 20 2003, 07:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bumpn_gt @ Sep 20 2003, 07:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--LayinFrame01@Sep 19 2003, 04:14 PM
If it takes you like 30 hits to get it up, your batts are dead or one or  all of the batts are shot. Then you said something like the noids click but nutin happens. If thats the case then yes you have a broken noid, heres what you do..... hit the front switch real fast like 40 times then put your hand on the noids and see which one is hot or the hottest, bam theres your broken noid.
All the batteries are brand new, and I have them hooked up in 1 bay going to each pump so that I don't have to charge the front batteries once a week and the rear like once a month....

I did the 40 clicks thing, and all the solenoids stay ice cold.........any other help??[/b][/quote]
did you check the brushes in the motor????if 1 is burnt your motor will not spin and your noids will just click ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts