LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fiddling around with my new switches and switch extensions and:

How the hell do you keep the switch extension in the right place?

You can't do it up too close to the switch mounting because it will foul against it, and also, due to the shape of the switch toggle (narrower towards the switch), the extension tends to slip inwards towards the switch and wobble around annoyingly. The grub screw isn't doing up against a level surface.

I was thinking of trial-fitting the extension, doing the grub screw up tight enough to mark the switch toggle, then using that as a marker and grinding a recess into the toggle so that the grub screw sits in it.

What do you think? Dan? Anyone else with these switch extensions?

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Apr 9 2004, 01:31 PM
i put 2 wraps of electrical tape around the switch, and then pushed the extension on, not very technical im afraid, but it does what it is intended to do.
You all need to quit buying the cheap extensions and get some quality ones! Polished stainless with set screws! :0 :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by NCRex@Apr 9 2004, 04:52 PM
Where could someone get some quality polished ones at?
Semi truck shops, etc. I got mine from a guy on here, he doesn't make them anymore I think, but they were well worth the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
I got the ones with the diamond on top chrome with a screw that holds it in place.Call Low joes hydraulics in Fort worth Texas at (817)831-2747 the got them chrome with the diamonds in different colors. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz+Apr 10 2004, 02:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Apr 10 2004, 02:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--NCRex@Apr 9 2004, 04:52 PM
Where could someone get some quality polished ones at?
Semi truck shops, etc. I got mine from a guy on here, he doesn't make them anymore I think, but they were well worth the money.[/b][/quote]
yup that is volvlo..he is in the same city as us....we are making our own too with the set screw (polished with 5 diffrent styles), they are availible on our website, please note OUR PRICES ARE IN CANADIAN FUNDS!!




http://www.streetlevelcreations.com/store.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Originally posted by 1lorodeo+Apr 10 2004, 08:10 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1lorodeo @ Apr 10 2004, 08:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 02:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--NCRex
@Apr 9 2004, 04:52 PM
Where could someone get some quality polished ones at?

Semi truck shops, etc. I got mine from a guy on here, he doesn't make them anymore I think, but they were well worth the money.
yup that is volvlo..he is in the same city as us....we are making our own too with the set screw (polished with 5 diffrent styles), they are availible on our website, please note OUR PRICES ARE IN CANADIAN FUNDS!!




http://www.streetlevelcreations.com/store.htm[/b][/quote]
but yeah I still have plastic sparkle ones and I use hot glue and trust me they work mint, just make sure you leave enough of a gap so the extension can toggle, and if you need to take it off just pull off hard enough of lightly heat up the extension so its a bit warm but not melted, hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone :cheesy:

Mine have got the grub screw (as I mentioned in my post), but the they slip inwards due to the shape of the toggle switch. I'm going to try grinding a small recess into the toggle for the grub screw to do up into.

Scandalouz :cheesy: , they aren't cheap ones, they are Peterbilt truck switch extensions AND they came from Canada (via China :cheesy: ) from Team Pneumatik! So, with that in mind, :twak: .

Mike

:biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Apr 10 2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks everyone :cheesy:

Mine have got the grub screw (as I mentioned in my post), but the they slip inwards due to the shape of the toggle switch. I'm going to try grinding a small recess into the toggle for the grub screw to do up into.

Scandalouz :cheesy: , they aren't cheap ones, they are Peterbilt truck switch extensions AND they came from Canada (via China :cheesy: ) from Team Pneumatik! So, with that in mind, :twak: .

Mike

:biggrin:
If you had gotten quality extensions like these, you wouldn't have any problems, these are the shizznit!




:0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz+Apr 10 2004, 09:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Apr 10 2004, 09:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--M-827@Apr 10 2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks everyone  :cheesy:

Mine have got the grub screw (as I mentioned in my post), but the they slip inwards due to the shape of the toggle switch.  I'm going to try grinding a small recess into the toggle for the grub screw to do up into.

Scandalouz  :cheesy: , they aren't cheap ones, they are Peterbilt truck switch extensions AND they came from Canada (via China  :cheesy: ) from Team Pneumatik!  So, with that in mind,  :twak: .

Mike

:biggrin:
If you had gotten quality extensions like these, you wouldn't have any problems, these are the shizznit!




:0[/b][/quote]
those arent even mounted yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52+Apr 10 2004, 10:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (joebomber52 @ Apr 10 2004, 10:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 09:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--M-827
@Apr 10 2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks everyone  :cheesy:

Mine have got the grub screw (as I mentioned in my post), but the they slip inwards due to the shape of the toggle switch.  I'm going to try grinding a small recess into the toggle for the grub screw to do up into.

Scandalouz  :cheesy: , they aren't cheap ones, they are Peterbilt truck switch extensions AND they came from Canada (via China  :cheesy: ) from Team Pneumatik!  So, with that in mind,  :twak: .

Mike

:biggrin:

If you had gotten quality extensions like these, you wouldn't have any problems, these are the shizznit!




:0
those arent even mounted yet[/b][/quote]
:twak:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz+Apr 10 2004, 11:03 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Apr 10 2004, 11:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 09:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--M-827
@Apr 10 2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks everyone  :cheesy:

Mine have got the grub screw (as I mentioned in my post), but the they slip inwards due to the shape of the toggle switch.  I'm going to try grinding a small recess into the toggle for the grub screw to do up into.

Scandalouz  :cheesy: , they aren't cheap ones, they are Peterbilt truck switch extensions AND they came from Canada (via China  :cheesy: ) from Team Pneumatik!  So, with that in mind,  :twak: .

Mike

:biggrin:

If you had gotten quality extensions like these, you wouldn't have any problems, these are the shizznit!




:0

those arent even mounted yet
:twak:[/b][/quote]
don't be whacking me in the head you peckerwood

those extentions are not in the correct possition and the set screw isn't even set so how do you know if they are not going to be slipping


m-827 yes make a small notch on the switch it is common
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
I have had them on and all tightened down, I tried everything to get then to slip or move and nothing, so I know they are not going to be a problem. The extension is not in the right place because I had to grind the toggle down. My extensions are made to fit perfectly over the carling switches, they are step bored to go down into the right position. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz@Apr 10 2004, 12:03 PM
I have had them on and all tightened down, I tried everything to get then to slip or move and nothing, so I know they are not going to be a problem. The extension is not in the right place because I had to grind the toggle down. My extensions are made to fit perfectly over the carling switches, they are step bored to go down into the right position. ;)
so why is it right against the threading on the switch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,843 Posts
what if you had the switch extension all the way down on the switch (like in the pic) and hit the switch and the extension should move up from where it fouls then move the extension up a tiny bit more and then do up the grub screw..?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52+Apr 10 2004, 12:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (joebomber52 @ Apr 10 2004, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--skandalouz@Apr 10 2004, 12:03 PM
I have had them on and all tightened down,  I tried everything to get then to slip or move and nothing,  so I know they are not going to be a problem.  The extension is not in the right place because I had to grind the toggle down.  My extensions are made to fit perfectly over the carling switches,  they are step bored to go down into the right position. ;)
so why is it right against the threading on the switch[/b][/quote]
that's not a carling switch
the extensions would not fit so I had to grind off some of the switch toggle!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz+Apr 10 2004, 12:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Apr 10 2004, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 12:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--skandalouz
@Apr 10 2004, 12:03 PM
I have had them on and all tightened down,  I tried everything to get then to slip or move and nothing,  so I know they are not going to be a problem.  The extension is not in the right place because I had to grind the toggle down.  My extensions are made to fit perfectly over the carling switches,  they are step bored to go down into the right position. ;)

so why is it right against the threading on the switch
that's not a carling switch
the extensions would not fit so I had to grind off some of the switch toggle![/b][/quote]
ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by joebomber52@Apr 10 2004, 12:48 PM

m-827 yes make a small notch on the switch it is common
Thanks Joe :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by skandalouz@Apr 10 2004, 01:08 PM

the extensions would not fit
Crap extensions then? Or crap switches?

It's one or the other, so with that in mind:

:twak:

Mike

:cheesy:
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top