LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about building swivel seats, I know that biggeazy-e had his pics posted but I was wondering if anyone had step by step instrucations on how to build one, and or measurements and materials, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
I would make cardboard patterns first when making seats for your car. Better to make your mistakes with the cardboard than to have to go back out and buy more wood. Speaking of which, I wouldn't recommend fiberglassing the seats if you are going to cover them yourself. The fiberglass cuts down on your options of how to cover the seat. A properly made plywood/hardwood seat is just as strong and will be much easier to cover. Besides, who wants to sand fiberglass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,530 Posts
Originally posted by AWSOM69@Nov 18 2003, 10:07 PM
I would make cardboard patterns first when making seats for your car. Better to make your mistakes with the cardboard than to have to go back out and buy more wood. Speaking of which, I wouldn't recommend fiberglassing the seats if you are going to cover them yourself. The fiberglass cuts down on your options of how to cover the seat. A properly made plywood/hardwood seat is just as strong and will be much easier to cover. Besides, who wants to sand fiberglass.
wrong

i have build my seats from wood just to shape it, and then completely covered it with a couple of layers fiberglas, making it one piece. You can staple in fiberglas, just as you can with wood, you can glue on fiberglas, just like wood. But a wooden chair would NOT be strong enough, and surtenly not as strong as fiberglas. Why would you wanna sand it down to get it smooth if you uphoster it anyway? It is a great way to make a strong save chair and still have no limitations in designing them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
And you've done how many?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
Just to clear up something. The reason I said it would be better to use a wooden seat is it would obviously be easier for these guys who have no experience to cover them. Now maybe if I was building wooden seats like some I have seen done by other upholsterers, maybe then I would agree a non-fiberglass seat would be the way to go. But I have not had one seat come apart and I have been doing this since the early '80s. Don't get in a huff when somesone has a different way of doing it. I have a lot of respect for what you done in your Cutlass so far. Keep up the good work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,530 Posts
Originally posted by AWSOM69@Nov 18 2003, 10:39 PM
Just to clear up something. The reason I said it would be better to use a wooden seat is it would obviously be easier for these guys who have no experience to cover them. Now maybe if I was building wooden seats like some I have seen done by other upholsterers, maybe then I would agree a non-fiberglass seat would be the way to go. But I have not had one seat come apart and I have been doing this since the early '80s. Don't get in a huff when somesone has a different way of doing it. I have a lot of respect for what you done in your Cutlass so far. Keep up the good work.
i just cant see how wood can be stronger then fiberglas. It`s also very easy to do. Specially when you gonne upholster it, just put some on, doesnt have to be smooth or whatever, it only there for strongness. It definitly worth the try
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,530 Posts
Originally posted by SammyLJ@Nov 19 2003, 07:02 AM
wow they look good

where did you get the bottom swival part?
campershop, most RV`s, campervan`s, stuff like that have these under the front seat so you can turn them around to created a larger livingarea when you dont drive, these one`s are universal, can turn around 360 degrees and locked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys, but the swivel locks too? thats cool, i wouldnt see how you could hit the three wheel around the corner and your seat would be going every which way, so thats cool, but i seen on the pictures that there was something over the fiberglass was it passing or what, looks like plaster or something, pm back, thanks ryan :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,530 Posts
Originally posted by MexicanoAIR@Nov 20 2003, 12:37 AM
thanks guys, but the swivel locks too? thats cool, i wouldnt see how you could hit the three wheel around the corner and your seat would be going every which way, so thats cool, but i seen on the pictures that there was something over the fiberglass was it passing or what, looks like plaster or something, pm back, thanks ryan :cool:
after you fiberglassed something, you mix a special paint that comes along with it. Its a coating. If you use fibers, when fiberglassing, for extra strengh, you need to put on this coating. The fibers are very small tubes, that wanna suck up liquid, if the fiberglas gets wet, it starts to suck up the liquid into the fibers, weaking it and making it expand too. The coating prevents that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Look for 70's style kitchen chairs, that's what my friend did, then got them tweeded, and bought swivel bottoms from a boat store. try antique stores, garage sales. It's a fast custom look, but very hard on ya back with the hydros in ya ride. later.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top