LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i'm thinking of purchasing a tacoma rear end to put in my 64 impala. i'm tired of cutting rear tires on the inner fenders and not being able to run skirts as well. is anyone out there running a tacoma rear end in their 64? and if so, how was the installation? did it really "bolt right up" or was their alot of customizing or changing? i'm going to run drum brakes and am using a 200R transmission with a telescoping driveshaft and full air ride all around. any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
i have ran and installed a ton of taco rears in impalas. its not just a "bolt right up"

your going to need to strip all the mounts off the taco rear. then add mounts from an impala rear or do like we do and fab new ones. you will also need to add a banana or wishbone mount depending how your setup. while doing all of this you will need to be exact on your placement or your pinion angle will be all to hell. then when all that is finished you will need to machine out the "adapter" to bolt the impala factory driveline to your toco rear.

remember not all tacoma rears are the same. 4 cylinders are more narrow than 6. there is also two different gear ratios. your best option is 98-early 2000's v6 trucks. however any will work. but with the r type trans this will give you good bottomn end yet still dip 70's on the interstate at about 1800 rpms. if you have any more questions or need any parts call me at the shop. 423-782-6322. i normally keep these in stock however at the moment im out. im located in east tn. shipping usually kills the deal.

it all may sound overmelmimg but i have walked several people through this over the phone and email. when it comes to the machined connector blackmagic mass produces the peice so there actually about 20 bucks cheaper than me on that. so call them for that.

·
Registered
12,557 Posts
i have ran and installed a ton of taco rears in impalas. its not just a "bolt right up"

your going to need to strip all the mounts off the taco rear. then add mounts from an impala rear or do like we do and fab new ones. you will also need to add a banana or wishbone mount depending how your setup. while doing all of this you will need to be exact on your placement or your pinion angle will be all to hell. then when all that is finished you will need to machine out the "adapter" to bolt the impala factory driveline to your toco rear.

remember not all tacoma rears are the same. 4 cylinders are more narrow than 6. there is also two different gear ratios. your best option is 98-early 2000's v6 trucks. however any will work. but with the r type trans this will give you good bottomn end yet still dip 70's on the interstate at about 1800 rpms. if you have any more questions or need any parts call me at the shop. 423-782-6322. i normally keep these in stock however at the moment im out. im located in east tn. shipping usually kills the deal.

it all may sound overmelmimg but i have walked several people through this over the phone and email. when it comes to the machined connector blackmagic mass produces the peice so there actually about 20 bucks cheaper than me on that. so call them for that.
this guy knows his stuff.I've had two homies on here deal with him,and they both had nothing but great feedback for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts